Partioning - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Partioning

ok i want to put linux red hat on my second hard drive it has about 92gb free n i wanna put 20 of that into a seperate partion for my linux stuff. i wanna keep xp as my usual use operating system for now, until i see which is better. i also wanna keep all the data on my hard drive just want a part of it, so if theres a way to do this without formating that would be nice.

thanks for the help

80gb Seagate HD
120gb Maxtor HD
Nvidia Gforce FX 5200 PCI

Its better to live in the light than to curse the darkness and better than both to remain unseen...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

first u need to clarify ... Are u tryin' to install on a second harddrive or a second partition??

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

im trying to make a partion on a second hard drive so i can install
80gb Seagate HD
120gb Maxtor HD

Its better to live in the light than to curse the darkness and better than both to remain unseen...
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

OK, you want to install Linux on your secondary drive that you are currently using to store files... right?

If that is the case you will need something like Partition Magic, so you can change the size of the drive partitions without loosing your data.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

is there a way to unallocate memory on that drive without requiring a reformat using windows?

i downloaded the demo but it wont work, i tell it to apply changes n procedures n whatever but nothing happens am i doing something wrong?
80gb Seagate HD
120gb Maxtor HD

Old 04-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

That's b'coz Partition Magic is not Freeware ....
Herez what u do .

Ranish Partition Manager is by far one of the best freeware partitionig tools i've ever used ... I've been using it from it's beta stages ..n' it's great.
Anywayz .. Download it..

1. Defragment your disk.
2. Run partition manager and change partition size in TWO places: partition table and boot record° (you get there when you press Enter). Make sure the size does not drop below minimum partition size.
3. Reboot computer and run SCANDISK to check for errors / adjust FAT-32 free space.
4. Create new partitions.

° In ur case i don't think u have a boot record ..since it's ur second drive...

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Closed Thread