Parent looking for ways to track tech smart child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused0001

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I have a 16 year old daughter and she has been getting into some not good things recently, and I have been using the add/block list in Internet Explorer 7 to block sites like facebook.

But, recently she has been trying to go around my blocks and still go there.

Does anyone know of any good free programs that will record what she does on the pc? Take screenshots, log what sites she goes to and her passwords (I have asked for them, and she keeps giving me fakes, or changes them after I login and check things, and creates another account).

I would really like to keep her safe on the internet, instead of blocking the entire internet and cutting her off from her friends, and school.

I can understand your concern being a parent myself. But the main thing is to do what you are asking is going to require some aspects that we do not support here. Your best bet is to sign up for OpenDNS and use that to block sites. This will allow the school sites and some other sites that you want but fully block the social sites like Facebook and MySpace. It will also allow connections with Instant Messenger clients and such as well.

There is also NetNanny but that is not free. The honest truth, the free stuff is not good. You get what you pay for and since it is free, it isnt worth the time to install it. If you really want all of that stuff, you will have to pay for it.

That is all we can say.

your kids go to school and there are kids that know the workaround to everything so those programs won't really work. do like I did and put the computer in the same room with your computer

Thanks for the help.

I will look into that, is that pc side? or router side? and can we be able to unlock it at certin times?

Try looking into OpenDNS (OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security). They have a free version, as well as paid.

Basically, OpenDNS allows you to set up filters for your internet connection BEFORE it gets to your home (before it comes to your router). As long as she can't figure out how you did it and can't crack your account name and password you set up there is nothing she can do about it (unless she changes the DNS settings on the router but you can set up a strong password for the router... and should already have, actually).

Microsoft provide a kelogger that you can install on your PC that you will then be able to passwords etc from. Personally I wouldnt recomend hacking your childrens accounts as that will cause more trouble than it solves and in all fairness your children are 16 years old, they arent all that young any more so I aint sure why you waould want to troll though their private stuff. NetNanny is the best tool that you can get your hands on and that can limit the sites and hours that they can access siteor the internet but as keylogging as its a touchy subject even tehy wont allow you to log peoples key strokes.

Many routers (wireless or wired) have web filtering available. You could also look into Windows Live Family Safety. It is part of Live Essentials and is free. I'm not sure how effective it is, but it is an option. There are also parental filters in a lot of Internet Security suites that also include anti-virus and firewall protection.

Microsoft provide a kelogger that you can install on your PC that you will then be able to passwords etc from. Personally I wouldnt recomend hacking your childrens accounts as that will cause more trouble than it solves and in all fairness your children are 16 years old, they arent all that young any more so I aint sure why you waould want to troll though their private stuff. NetNanny is the best tool that you can get your hands on and that can limit the sites and hours that they can access siteor the internet but as keylogging as its a touchy subject even tehy wont allow you to log peoples key strokes.

this is why the world is going downhill. 30 years ago, the thought process wasn't focus on stuff like this

I have a problem with kids who are entitled and think that they should be treated as grown people. if they didn't buy the computer and they are not 18 what privacy are they entitled too? the same privacy that those columbine kids got before they went on a rampage?

I have a problem with kids who are entitled and think that they should be treated as grown people. if they didn't buy the computer and they are not 18 what privacy are they entitled too? the same privacy that those columbine kids got before they went on a rampage?

I kinda have to agree with LFC here, 16y/os aren't that young anymore

you gotta give them some privacy :p

and you gotta know that you did a better job at raising your kids than the "columbine kids" parents did ;)

ultimately, it's your house, you set the rules :grin:

I kinda have to agree with LFC here, 16y/os aren't that young anymore

you gotta give them some privacy :p

and you gotta know that you did a better job at raising your kids than the "columbine kids" parents did ;)

ultimately, it's your house, you set the rules :grin:

this is exactly why some kids kill. because they are giving too many rights. we didn't have privacy when we were kids. if we would have, we would done some crazy stuff like these kids do

we got our privacy when we got our our own place to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom