Pagefile issues

PP Mguire

Build Guru
As most know, I always disable pagefile and I have done so since I got my first 8GB kit of RAM over 3 years ago.

I have a feeling this board has one major con unless I can figure out a way of getting around this. When I have all 64GB of RAM installed I only have 51GB of my SSD free with 0MB on pagefile. I even tried doing a trick to where I reduce the pagefile, reboot, then disable to see if it'll go away and it didn't. I installed Windows with a single 2GB stick of RAM and I had 99GB free so I absolutely know it has something to do with the swap and 64GB kit of RAM.

This happens in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Question is, does anybody know how to fix this and if not can anybody point me to a program or a way to actually see the file so I can delete it.

if you want to see if it is creating a pagefile just show hidden/system files and look on your c drive for pagefile.sys

also look for hyberfil.sys this is you hibernate file, if you use the hibernate feature it creates a snapshot of your ram, as this is then transferred back when you come out of hibernation.
so try turning that off as well, as that may actually be the cause.

if you want to see if it is creating a pagefile just show hidden/system files and look on your c drive for pagefile.sys

also look for hyberfil.sys this is you hibernate file, if you use the hibernate feature it creates a snapshot of your ram, as this is then transferred back when you come out of hibernation.
so try turning that off as well, as that may actually be the cause.

Make sure you run
Code:
powercfg.exe -h off
From command prompt to properly disable hibernation if that's the issue, otherwise the hiberfil.sys won't actually be deleted.

I have already done this. I've been troubleshooting since 6am and these were some of the first things I thought of besides the little lower to small size and then disable trick. That's when I started Googling. I just took 6 of my sticks out and it immediately took my SSD usage back down to 90GB despite having all this disabled. I want to say **** Windows 8 but this is happening in both and I'm starting to get this dread feeling it could possible be my board.

Took a power nap at noon and now I'm back at it.

Changed settings in the bios, did the reduce and disable pagefile trick, then did the -h command line all at the same time and after a reboot I'm good to go. I hope I don't have this trouble every time I format.

Back
Top Bottom