pagefile

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayhawker01

In Runtime
Hello

I was wondering if I should tweak my pagefile system on my work computer. I have an AMD 1.7 with 512 RAM.Page file says I have 190 used with 875 MB avaliable. Should I change this to speed my pc up?

if your running XP you can zero out your page file. I wouldn't recomend doing it if you don't have a Gb or ram, but that is upto you.
It's not going to help you much by changing it as you don't appear to use it too much.
The way a page file works is by caching extra info from memory so if it needs it again, it goesn't have to look too far...
increaing the size would only help you if you were running up against the max already. If you have a large amount of ram, then zeroing it out can be helpful so as to keep the memory fresh all the time. Can help performance sometimes.

Good Luck

Second the above if you have a gig of RAM or more then zero it out. Else, leave it be and let WXP manage it.

as far as the paging and memory goes, essentially memory is the first to be filled. the o/s will look and find address available. If they are, its plugged with whatever info. The lower the VM, the more windows will allow to be used in memory. with VM, its kind of like this. if something residing in mem isn't accessed often, or at all for a time and the new guy comes in needing memory (cause he's running in the front now), then that part of mem is copied into a .swp file, or page file, or swap file. this frees up the memory addressed to be allocated. the o/s handles the traffic back and forth between page and mem. now, if you want to have increase in prerformance, then I'd suggest setting min and max to the same size. If you having probs, then set page to 0 (clearing it), boot to safe and then set it to its normal (min and max same amount, that way its always available and windows does not have to manage it by increse or decrese in size) This will speed things up. If you have another HDD, then pop it in there and put the page file on another HDD. That will also speed it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom