Page file question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
I noticed that windows 7 offers the option of "automatically manage paging file size for all these drives". Should I change my setting to that or just leave it on my C: drive which win 7 is on?

If I do use the option, will there be any advantages or disadvantages? Also, I have it on my C:. I also have a second HD which I keep XP on, is it possible to move it there?

thx

You can change it if you wish. I do. But that doesnt mean that automatically that you should. The advantages/disadvantages are only going to be seen by you. We can sit here all day reciting recycled information given from our experience but the truth is only you will be able to tell if there is a advantage.

Some people say that having the pagefile on a separate drive helps speed up the system. Some say it helps access times and load times. But honestly it is all a matter of personal preference.

You should NOT put it on the same drive as XP. If you do it, you should create a 4-5GB partition specifically for it. Upon trying you most likely will see a error message in Windows that there is already a pagefile.sys file present and do you want to over write it. That will be the pagefile for XP and upon booting to Xp you could have issues since the pagefile was over written.

Mak, If I do it, should I create another partition on the second HD that contains XP on it and put the pagefile on that partition. Is that what you are recommending? Also, what about using "automatically manage paging file size for all these drives".

thx, I appreciate your help.

I just put mine on my second internal drive I use for installing games and whatnot on. I don't have it on it's own partition and it seems ok, I don't know if that's the best way to do it or not though.

Alright if you do want to do this then you need to have a partition that doesnt contain any Windows installs. The way yzmxer does it is fine since the drive isnt used for any other Windows so there will not be a conflict.

If you only have 2 drives and they both contain an install of Windows, then it would be best advised to create a partition for the pagefile itself. It can be on per drive for XP and Win7 or jsut a single partition for Win7 itself.

Using the predefined settings doesnt hurt anything. As i said, it is all in your view. You may not see a gain from doing it. You also might. It is not something that can easily be explained or discussed as it is just like the Windows vs Mac aspect as both sides have valid points. It is all in the view of the person doing it.

I moved my page file to another drive (F.). When I look under computer management should it still say pagefile under C: as this

thx

Did you turn off the pagefile on the C:\ Drive? I am betting you didnt. You have to check No Pagefile and SET it as such. Then click on the drive you want it on (F: ) and select the size then SET that as well. Restart and you will see the changes properly.

pagefile.png

I forgot to do it until now. I was debating whether to just have windows manage it. I set it correctly now.

Thx Mak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom