Page File Going High

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Specs in sig, During Guild wars and cs1.6 i get a virtual memory low popup. Page file is at over 600, 200 normally. Physically memory in task manager is still over 1.3 gb available. Possibly onboard video?

What is you pagefile set for? It should be around double what your RAM is.

Ok, I did that. Now my question still is, why does my virtual memory go up to 600 when playing cs 1.6? Why doesnt it just use my physical ram?

Do you have the pagefile setup for Programs or Systems Cache... must obviously be set to programs or it wouldn't be using it. Anyways, this is very interesting. Is your physical RAM being used by many other applications while you are using CS? You may want to try switching the pagefile to focus on systems cache and see if CS uses the physical memory then, or if you get the low memory notice.

No, i run just cs 1.6 and steam. thats it. Im gunna test a few things out, ill get back to you guys.

Ok, pagefile is at minimum 2gb right now and max 3gb. During cs 1.6, page file still goes to around 600mb. CPU usage fluctuates alot from very low to very high. My physical memory total is 1.9gb due to onboard video and idle its got about 1.5gb free, and well playing 1.6 it has 1.25gb free still. Could all this just be due to onboard video?

Edit
Also tried switching between program and system cache for best performence memory use, no difference.

Don't have a variable size set for your pagefile. Set it to none, restart your computer, then set it to one distinct size. This will prevent fragmentation from occurring.

Don't have a variable size set for your pagefile. Set it to none, restart your computer, then set it to one distinct size. This will prevent fragmentation from occurring.

Or just set the minimum/maximum to the same; that'll also prevent fragmentation.

Ok, I did that. Now my question still is, why does my virtual memory go up to 600 when playing cs 1.6? Why doesnt it just use my physical ram?

This is honestly just one of those things we will never understand about PC's. I have often wondered why i have a pagefile when 3GB of RAM is way more than needed. Yet if i turn off my pagefile my system slows down. If i leave it on and set to the max level my PC soars.

Why it doesnt use your RAM i would have to say is something to ask Steam and the coders of the game. CS1.6 is a older game and many systems didnt have the RAM like they do now. So it could be that they had the game use the pagefile to run instead of system RAM. As i said that could be the answer. Only the coders will know.

But in all honesty i still chalk it up to a PC mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom