Page file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celticsfan

Banned
My Xp pc is saying my virtual memory is low. What should I set it to? I currently have 504MB of RAM so my initial size is 756MB and MAX is 1512MB.

Thanks

Usually when seeing that type of message your hard drive is reaching capacity where you are simply running out of available drive space for the creation of the paging file used to suppliment the amount of memory installed. Freeing up some drive space as well as using the custom size option for the paging file should see that cleared up.

Usually when seeing that type of message your hard drive is reaching capacity where you are simply running out of available drive space for the creation of the paging file used to suppliment the amount of memory installed. Freeing up some drive space as well as using the custom size option for the paging file should see that cleared up.

44GB of free hd space so that can't be an issue.

No...it means that he was running a lot of apps, and that the virtual memory on his system was reaching its limit.

Anyway Celticsfan, set your virtual memory/paging file to 2048mb. Set that as both the minimum and the maximum.

To do this, go to start > right click 'My Computer' > Properties > Advanced tab > Under 'Performance' click Settings > go to the Advanced tab > Under 'virtual memory' click Change > Under 'Initial Size' type in 2048, and type the same thing in under 'Maximum Size' > click Set > Ok > An alert will come up saying you'll have to restart > click Ok on all of the dialog boxes, reboot, and check your task manager.

No...it means that he was running a lot of apps, and that the virtual memory on his system was reaching its limit.

Anyway Celticsfan, set your virtual memory/paging file to 2048mb. Set that as both the minimum and the maximum.

To do this, go to start > right click 'My Computer' > Properties > Advanced tab > Under 'Performance' click Settings > go to the Advanced tab > Under 'virtual memory' click Change > Under 'Initial Size' type in 2048, and type the same thing in under 'Maximum Size' > click Set > Ok > An alert will come up saying you'll have to restart > click Ok on all of the dialog boxes, reboot, and check your task manager.

thanks.

No problem.

May want to consider upgrading your RAM, though instead of relying on virtual memory. Hardware RAM = better. Upgrading to 1-2GB would be worth it.

If you got the space and you don't mind just take the pagefile up to the max of 4096. Which is 4GB. That way if you do run a lot of stuff then you will have the pagefile already there.

If you got the space and you don't mind just take the pagefile up to the max of 4096. Which is 4GB. That way if you do run a lot of stuff then you will have the pagefile already there.

Mak, that's the problem, I normally don't run many apps at the same time and I have plenty of HD space so I can't figure out why the message appeared to begin with. Do you recommend 4096 on initial and max?

You can. Or you can set it at 2048 for initial and 4096 for Max. That way it will use 2GB to start and if it needs more it can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom