Outlook & Outlook Express problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
All right,

I got a call from the ISP where I used to work asking if I could help for a few days with some service calls. Like an idiot I said yes. Turns out the guy that they hired after I left is out of town for about a month.

Just to give a little background, this ISP does a high speed wireless internet connection for people in some very rural areas of western Iowa.

Had a call from a customer that they had lost their wireless signal. I went out, and got that problem fixed. While I was there, they hit me with another problem that they have been having with their email. They can receive all of their messages. They can send small messages (text only), but they have problems sending slightly larger messages (any pictures or attachments). To test it, they tried to send me a message that was all of 345 kB. Using Outlook Express, it sat there for a minute trying to send, then came back with a message that the connection had been refused by the server.

Thinking that maybe their installation of Outlook Express was screwed up, and seeing that they had Outlook on their computer, I set up their email on Outlook. Tried to send a message, and got a similar message (I unfortuneately don't remember this one).

I did a ping test to the mail server. The first time, I ended it at about 150 pings, and 8% had been lost. I did this a second time, and after about 120 pings, 7% had been lost. This doesn't seem to out of whack to me, because most people have at least 5% loss, and don't have problems.

This customer is the only one that is having this problem that I know of, so I don't believe that it is the server. I think that it is her computer.

The computer is a Windows 98 computer, and she is using Outlook Express 6.

I'm hoping someone here has an idea of a setting that I could tweak that would allow this customer to send larger emails.

If they are hooked up to a router check to see what the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is set at on it. The MTU size set on the router may not let packets larger than a certain size to pass through.

There is no router. They receive the signal from the access point through an antenna. The antenna is connected to coax cable, which runs to an Orinoco USB wireless modem. That's hooked directly into their computer.

I also forgot to mention that she says this problem started about 6 months ago. It worked up until that time, and since then it has not. She swears that she didn't change anything.

The customer had Norton installed, and says she ran it. She also has spybot and Ad-aware installed, and says that they have both been run recently, and came up with nothing.

I ran a scan from Trend Micro, and Panda. Both scans came up clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom