Outlook not remembering password

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwurfel

Baseband Member
OK, here's the problem...

Every time I launch Outlook 2002, I am prompted to enter my password even though I check the box for remembering my password. Below is the list of things I have tried with no luck. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

First off, I've had the program for a while now and never had this problem. This all started after I reinstalled Office XP after doing a compete reformat of my hard drive and installing Windows XP full version from scratch. (Got a new Hard Drive). When this happened after my reformat, I tried things I found in Microsoft knowledge base and random things I found through google. When nothing worked, I reformatted my hard drive again and reinstalled Windows XP again and reinstalled Office XP again and got the same problem. After the second reformat, I tried the below list of things and I am where I am now. One more thing, keep in mind that this is all installed on a new hard drive. I did do a “full zero of hard drive” then partition and install the new drive both times.

1. Complete reformat of hard drive with reinstall of Windows XP and clean install of Office XP x 2
2. Control Panel->Internet Options->Content->Personal Information->AutoComplete button; Enable -> User names and passwords
Disable -> Prompt me to save passwords
3. Spybot and AVG anti-virus with nothing found.
4. Ran following Microsoft fix http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;264672 with no luck. This fix states “The registry contains incorrect information for the Protected Storage System Provider registry subkey for your account.” Requires editing the registry to fix. Tried and still no luck.

So, what do you think???

When I do an Outlook info, it says it is Outlook 2002. I tried what you psted but the path didn't match up...

I can go Tools : Email Accounts : Next : Change : and edit my main settings. There is no "security and uncheck the "Alway prompt for username and pasword."" in more settings. Looked everywhere....

That's odd, I have run that fix on a few clients pc's and it works everytime. Have you been able to verify that the password is accurate via your ISP's webmail service? I would check that as on a fresh OS install, you should not have this issue.

I know. Thats why this is driving me nuts. When you say "Have you been able to verify that the password is accurate via your ISP's webmail service?" do you mean make sure my passwod works. Because I can enter my password and recieve my mail with no problem. I just have to enter it every time I launch outlook.

I did find a link in the Microsoft knowledge base that may help you out. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816481

The only other thing I could suggest you try is to delete the Email account, and re-enter all the data, sometimes Email db's can get corrupt. Maybe give that a shot and see if it helps if the above link brings you no resolution.

This looks promising. In the directions it states

""""
- Search for file, pstore*.*.
4. In the search results pane, right-click the Pstorec.dll file, and then click Rename.
5. Rename the file by changing the file name extension to .old, and then press ENTER.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for the following files:
• Pstorerc.dll
• Pstores.exe
• Pstore.log

""""

7. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to find Psbase.dll and to rename Psbase.dll to Psbase.old.

Well, my search returned 4 files. All named "pstorec.dll". One in each of the following folders

- windows/system 32
- windows/servicepackfiles/i386
- windows/$NTservicepackuninstall$
- windows/softwaredistribution/download/bunch of numbers and letters

So, which one do I use and where are the other three different files that are supposed to be there?

I would rename them all as the directions indicate, and go from there. If it doesn't work, you could always rename them back to what they originally were. Just remeber to note down which file and where ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom