Outlook Express Disappeared - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Outlook Express Disappeared

Hi. Please somebody guide me with this. My computer is a Compaq 3000+ AMD Sempron. That is what the sticker on the tower says anyway. This computer has been ready for a new computer for a long time and running badly, it runs very slow and freezes constantly, is always-several times a day- out of virtual memory also. And I don't have any games or a bunch of programs on here either. It just runs that badly. So yesterday I used the disk cleanup to get rid of the temp files and it said that it would compress old files to try and make more disk space. The only thing it did was completely wipe my Outlook Express off this computer. That was the one program on here that I did use. I have programs and such that could have been taken off, they have never been used. Instead the cleanup went straight for the Outlook Express and I can't find it anywhere, it just wiped it right off the computer. I didn't tell it to, it just did it.

I just am trying to retrieve a few emails that were stored in that Outlook. Then I will get a new computer.

I have tried system restore the system restore had been turned off, I have no idea why, but since it had been off, I cannot get the system restore to go back further than when the Outlook email box was already gone. It won't go back further than the hour that happened yesterday. That is really aggravating. I have tried doing searches all through the computer to see if it is hiding the files from Outlook somewhere but I can't find any trace of it at all. There is no Outlook on my computer from the moment the computer did the cleanup. It got rid of temp files and Outlook Express.

Do I need to take this tower in somewhere to get it looked at? Or save my money because the mailbox is just long gone. I never would have thought that by cleaning up old files, it would just wipe Outlook Express completely off the computer. This computer didn't have enough memory. But I know now to back up everything from now on. I can't on my own fix this.

Any suggestions?

Spearmint

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Outlook Express Disappeared

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP

That will help you get Outlook Express back. I would then suggest going thru our spyware guide.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/sp...2008-a-165828/

Post up a log in our analyze forum for review.

HijackThis Logs (analyze) - Computer Forums

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Spearmint
Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Not a problem. Here to help.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Mak213, your suggestion worked miracles. I got my Outlook back, and that fast too. You mentioned that I should check my Spyware removal program and that started me wondering if I could go through another progam to find the Outlook. I have very few programs on here but an ancient old Microsoft Works came with the computer and has been on here since day one, sitting unused. I went through that and was able to get into Outlook and get it back on my computer. It told me that Outlook was no longer my chosen email box, I had to check that it was my chosen email box for it to be put back on and it then was returned with all the emails still there.

Thank you so much. You helped me look in the right direction. I have the emails that I wanted to save. I will make sure they are put on disk or printed out.

Spearmint