Outlook 2007 file naming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerulean42

Beta member
I'm really new to this forum, and I hope my message is within the acceptable rules. Please let me know if this is the wrong place to be posing it. I should also confess that, while I can figure my way around some technological problems that arise, I am not familiar with a lot of the technical language.

I have been using a program called MessageSave (published by TechHit) to archive work e-mails as individual .msg files. The files were moved from an extender drive to a server. In moving them, the file names were changed to shortened things like 200785~1.msg. I know that these naming conventions are metadata. I would like to change all of the files back to their original names instead of the shortened metadata versions. Is there any way to do that? I have been unable to answer my own question while searching forums and websites. Any ideas? Ideally, I would like to be able to do this in batches of many files at once instead of one at a time.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!

Firstly, welcome to the Tech-Forums.

As for achieving outlook, and you thought about using the exporting your outlooks PST file? It's a feature in Outlook.

I'm not sure that you can rename them back to what they originally were. It sounds to me like the device you copied the files to, didn't recognise or support files that had up to 255 characters in them and only recognised them in their old 8.3 format from the days of DOS - either the copy method used was old or the file systems differed on both devices.

Do you still have the original files that you copied across to your server or have you deleted them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom