OS's lockup while installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Styles

Beta member
I purchased a new system with the Asus K8V SE Deluxe as the motherboard and it is giving me nothing but errors. I have had RAM issues, BIOS issues, RAID issues, etc. But now that I believe that everything has been solved, I have problems installing Windows XP, the format process is fine as but when it goes to copy files, it locks up. I have also tried Knoppix to see if there is any difference but in this case, it locks up at random spots, I have been able to access it once but when shutting down, it still locks up. I have tried using my second system to format and install Win XP Pro, but after I plug in the drive to the new system, it won't even read the drive, it locks up while doing to boot tests. I have eliminated any incompatablity problems that the computer is having between hardware (ie. Motherboard and Video Card). I have come to a complete stump. If anyone can help me, that would be great.

These are the specs for the system. This is my second system so don't worry about the sig.

Mother Board//Asus K8V SE Deluxe
Processeor//AMD Sempron 3100+
Video card//128mb ATI 9800 Pro
Ram//512Mb DDR400
HDD//Western Digital 160GB
Dvd Burner//Samsung

Did you try starting with the bare miniumum system components? Hows does your cd look? Did you try a different drive if you have one?

I have tried only the bare minimums, one stick of RAM, switched out the DVD drive for a regular drive, etc. As well, I have tried the CD in another system, both Knoppix and XP, both work fine, I even installed XP on the 160 gig drive using a second system to see if it would boot, still no luck.

Well installing XP with the drive in another system wont work for one reason, when you go to boot it in the new system it is trying to find all the hardware that you used to install XP with. Such as mobo, video and so on. So switching the drive after you install XP wont work. As for the new system is it a SATA HDD or just a regular IDE? If it is SATA are you installing the drivers for it and are they the correct ones? Try using it without RAId configured. If it is just IDE it might be that your RAID card is causing you issues. If you have taken that out and still got error installing XP i would have to assume that there is a problem with something else. Are you OC the processor? That might be one. Bad cables, bad drive maybe you need to flash the BIOS. That is pretty much all i can think of off hand at this time. Let me know if any of this helps.

Well, thanks for the tip on XP, at least that clues up one problem. The drive is regualr IDE, and I have the RAID disabled on the board, so RAID could not be the issue here. I have not OC the processor, I am just trying to get the systen running at the moment. I have tried several different cables and I have flashed the BIOS already. (Had to do that, the board came with a corrupted BIOS). I was thinking it could be the RAM, when I switched the RAM from slot 1 to 2, it allowed me to boot further in Knoppix, and I did once get into it. Is it possible that I could have a bad piece of RAM in?

It might be you could do memtest to see if the RAM is good. Either that or it might be that the RAM needs to be installed in pairs. If that is the case you need to make sure they are installed in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. If you only have one module you might want to double check to see if it is dual channel or not.

Yeah, I brought it down to where I had purchased her and got them to take a look, it was a bad motherboard, got a replacement and it worked fine. Thanks for all of your help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom