OS to upgrade or to not upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
So I'm running XP home edition sp3 and I would like to upgrade but honestly I've got a lot of valuable programs installed and I don't want to have to reinstall them or have them not work on newer or better windows.

1. If I install a version of XP pro am I going to need to reinstall everything or can i just back it up and have it work. (assuming it goes well) :tongue:

2. Whats the easiest way to install windows 7 and have everything working again in the shortest amount of time.

3.Some programs and hardware I'm running Photoshop CS.5, mixcraft4.88, Vegas Pro 9, Korg Legacy, SBlive! sound card, Galaxy 210 VGA. Windows 7 compatible?

Well to be quite honest if you want to change OS whether it be to XP Pro or 7 youll need to reinstall everything unless you have an XP Pro upgrade disk. It would be more worth it to upgrade to 7 since IMO it is alot better than XP now.

A small Google for you showed that Mixcraft is at 5.1 and is 7 compatible. Since 4.88 isnt that far off id be willing to bet it will work in 7, and if not compatibility mode should run it. (Since compat mode runs my Mechwarrior 2 just fine)

CS5 definitely will run fine.

Vegas pro 9, yes.

Korg Legacy the support site has 7 faq right on it.

SB Live doesnt require drivers since 7 has them. As for the software, you should check the Creative website but im pretty sure they have an Audio CP for it.

210, yes.

Im that bored but yes all your stuff should run fine (in your list) with 7 and probably run better depending on your system.

Well sadly the SBlive worries me the most about working because I need that I/O and midi to work because the computer is based mainly on recording and music and I've only heard issues with the card in 7 so I'm wondering if my only hope is to buy a new M-AUDIO HD card like I dream about. :tongue:

Thank you very much though for the time you put into this. Thats very kind of you to research this.

1. If I install a version of XP pro am I going to need to reinstall everything or can i just back it up and have it work. (assuming it goes well) :tongue:

2. Whats the easiest way to install windows 7 and have everything working again in the shortest amount of time.

3.Some programs and hardware I'm running Photoshop CS.5, mixcraft4.88, Vegas Pro 9, Korg Legacy, SBlive! sound card, Galaxy 210 VGA. Windows 7 compatible?

1. Why would you really want to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro? You really are not going to gain anything from that upgrade at all. You would be better off staying with XP Home than doing that minor upgrade. It isnt worth the time nor hassle.

2. There isnt one. There is no direct upgrade from XP to Win7. So you will have to backup and reinstall from the start.

3. Win7 FAQ Thread has a ton of info and a site you can visit for ALL programs and their compatibility.

Well sadly the SBlive worries me the most about working because I need that I/O and midi to work because the computer is based mainly on recording and music and I've only heard issues with the card in 7 so I'm wondering if my only hope is to buy a new M-AUDIO HD card like I dream about. :tongue:

Thank you very much though for the time you put into this. Thats very kind of you to research this.

I have a SB Live 5.1 Platinum without the dock. If you are serious about using everything on it i can try it for you.

1. Why would you really want to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro? You really are not going to gain anything from that upgrade at all. You would be better off staying with XP Home than doing that minor upgrade. It isnt worth the time nor hassle.

2. There isnt one. There is no direct upgrade from XP to Win7. So you will have to backup and reinstall from the start.

3. Win7 FAQ Thread has a ton of info and a site you can visit for ALL programs and their compatibility.

1. I would be going from 32 bit to 64 thanks to my new ram upgrade so yes its still minor but indeed its an upgrade still.

2. I know there is no direct upgrade to 7. I was asking whats an efficient way to go about it.

3. The main concerns I have for compatibility are not touched on the FAQ or advisor so I was seeking personal opinions and experiences.

What if I went from xp to vista to 7?

I have a SB Live 5.1 Platinum without the dock. If you are serious about using everything on it i can try it for you.

WOULD YOU?!?! that'd be fantastic. I mean when I put it on my machine xp did all the work and had the drivers ready in no time. I'm just curious if 7 would do the same

1. I would be going from 32 bit to 64 thanks to my new ram upgrade so yes its still minor but indeed its an upgrade still.

2. I know there is no direct upgrade to 7. I was asking whats an efficient way to go about it.

3. The main concerns I have for compatibility are not touched on the FAQ or advisor so I was seeking personal opinions and experiences.

What if I went from xp to vista to 7?
Going from Vista to 7 would just be dumb in 2 ways. First it wastes time, just go straight to 7. Second 7 is better than Vista in probably every way imaginable.

WOULD YOU?!?! that'd be fantastic. I mean when I put it on my machine xp did all the work and had the drivers ready in no time. I'm just curious if 7 would do the same
It would take some work because im already runing an X-Fi but ill give it a shoot. Give me like a day or so to go grab it from storage and test it out.

Sorry to inform you, but you can't upgrade from a 32 Bit version of XP Home to a 64 Bit version of XP Pro. It would require a full format and reinstall. Anyway you do it, it will require you to format and reinstall as there is no upgrade path from 32 Bit to 64 Bit available no matter if you go to Vista and then Win7 or not. You cant upgrade this way at all on any version of Windows. You cant update the kernel and core files properly.

So again as i have already said, there is no efficent way to do it. Cause it is going to require you to make a full backup of all your personal files. Then a format of your system and a complete install of the new OS. Then a move of your files back.

As for the compatibility, the Microsoft website was designed with the developers of the products. I think they would know better than anyone with any personal experience. As they created the products you are using and would be much more informed on if it could work and how to get it working. Not to mention that most of the items you asked about were listed somewhere in that thread. It was created for a reason, to be used. Yeah it maybe long, but it is that way for a reason. Cause it answers just about every question you might have.

Going from Vista to 7 would just be dumb in 2 ways. First it wastes time, just go straight to 7. Second 7 is better than Vista in probably every way imaginable.

It would take some work because im already runing an X-Fi but ill give it a shoot. Give me like a day or so to go grab it from storage and test it out.

Well don't do it if it's a burden or too much you've helped enough already.:thumbsup:

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and jump to 7. Bleh some real work ahead. :annoyed:

Its not that hard. I format all the time for different reasons. I gotta head to storage anyways so ill grab that sound card. I have no way of personally testing the midi port though so your on your own there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom