OS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheWorld

Solid State Member
I have never been very big on XP and have stuck to Win 98 for a long time. I am building a new pc in the near future and was wondering if I should upgrade my OS after all these years. What does everyone think? Does XP boast better features? I am planning on networking the new computer with my old one so I can acess all of my files so it is important that if I do upgrade I can still work between the two computers despite one having Win 98 and one with XP. Also if upgrading is a good idea what version should I use? Home? Professional?

-Thanks

You should have no problem networking 98 and Xp computers. I agree with getting XP as to me it is more stable. Like a lot of people 98 brought heaps of BSOD and I have had XP for ages now and apparently you can get a BSOD on it but I have never seen it. Obviously Professional is better and will help with your networking.
Good Luck m8!

I have never used Win 98 but since switching to XP (from M.E.) I have yet to have a problem that wasnt caused by me. Usually something stupid I did. XP is solid.

If you plan on networking windows XP is the sure fire way to go. It has so many wizards that will make your life much easier. Most of the time you'll probobly just plug in the ethernet cable and it will magically make it work. It's also much more stable than 98 and it will run great on a new computer. Just make sure you have some anti spyware and antivirus. As for the spyware I recommend you download microsofts anti spyware software. It works great and you can set it to run a full system scan at any time of the day (mine is set to run at 3am every night) and automatically remove or quartine things it found.

XP is much more stable. I recomend it if you must use windows. I like w2k better though.

macdude425 said:
XP is better than 98 and ME by miles (better than ME by a few more miles than 98). But if you are looking for stability or plan on setting it up as a server, go with 2000. I don't suggest 2003.

Are there problems with 2003 or is it just complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom