Which OS for mom's computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigen

In Runtime
My mom recently got some virus or something that sent out a lot of spam emails and stuff. She probally needs a fresh install/format anyways so I was wondering about keeping Windows XP or putting linux os on there?

I've never messed out with Linux, seems interesting. She only uses her computer for email and internet browsing. Thoughts? Which Linux would run the best on her machine.

Dell computer
P4 1.80ghz
1 GB of ram
It has some type of graphics card that just has a vga out on it. lol
80GB hard drive

Thanks.

Pick, I would suggest putting XP on it. I think Linux would create too many hassles in the long run. If you want to mess with linux I suggest putting it on a crappy, spare computer you may have -- or buy a used one for $100 if you don't have a spare.

I've had bad experiences using linux on a computer I need to be doing something.

Most beginners of Linux install Ubuntu, as it's one of the easiest and user friendly of the hundreds of Linux distros out there. If she's only using it for email and internet, that's perfect for Ubuntu. That's what I did with my mother's computer as a test run, and she's never had a problem.

See how it works out for you guys. If it doesn't, then just reinstall XP.

Linux might be a bit too much of a learning curve for her (granted its pretty easy for beginners, but she'd have to realize she can't install some stuff, and its laid out a bit different). If she's willing, then sure let her try it. You could always setup a dual-boot on it as well, and let her try Ubuntu or a similar distro to see if she likes it. Easiest thing to do though would just reformat and keep XP.

If you have a CD key, just use XP.

While Linux is easy and user friendly your problems will arise when you have to try and train your mom on how to use it.

Save yourself the time and just reinstall XP.

lol, install? lol she doesn't even know what the word means. All she knows how to do is double click mozilla. So I think I'm going to put ubuntu on there and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the help, so is ubuntu the best option for linux?

spigen said:
Thanks for the help, so is ubuntu the best option for linux?
It's one of the best and easiest options for first timers.

If double clicking Mozilla is all your mom knows how to do on the computer, then it's no problem. Since everything she will be doing is within Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom