OS Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kid

In Runtime
I recently aquired a copy of Microsoft XP Medai Center Edition, i was told to just burn the file onto the cd, put into my pc, an tell the bios to boot of it. But when i do, it says invalid system disk.
So i used some boot cd i got, and booted it into ms-dos, i formated the harddrive, put the cd in, and tried running setup.exe, but it told me it couldnt run that in dos, the fil diretory on it reads like so:

autorun.something
boot.inf
I386
setup.exe
CRACK (tee hee, pirating)

and some htm pages, please help, as i would like to get my pc back up and running!

thats what i thought, the only other os i have, is a 98SE cd, which requires some weird assed instructions. (i dont own any official OS's, as i am 14, and live in a family of people who think that pcs are tools of the devil. So i must buy my own stuff.)

the 98se cd should do the trick. if you mean you're not familiar with the commands it's simple. set your pc to boot from cd, stick in the 98se disc and you should be able to select "run setup from disc" and thats it. if not select "boot computer with cd-rom support" which should bring you to a command prompt. then type "d:\" where d is your cd-drive letter, type without the quotes of course. then type "setup". if you want to switch of certain things the switches i remember are /iv (no propoganda) /ie (no boot disk creation) /is (no reg scan at start of setup). to use these you simply type "setup" followed by a space for each command. e.g. "setup /ie"

i did the 98se trick, and searched the i386 folder, and found the good ol winnet.exe file, which you use if the xp cd wont boot into insatlation. But it loaded all the files, and froze, so i rebooted it, it went into setup, (cheap lookin ms dos setup) and said that it couldnt find the EULA (which i could care less about) and said it couldnt install. So im gonna go back to the manual for it, and see whats up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom