OS CD Damaged .. Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
Does M$ have a system in which you provide your Serial Number and they provide another install disk? Or do I have to buy another one?

No if you have a serial you can download the CD from anywhere. the CD is considered shareware. It is the serial that matters.

Check your local Torrent site for a CD.

Ignore the post above me as what hes talking about is a VERY gray area.

What I suggest you do is fill out the media replacement form from microsoft and submit it to them. Once processed they will ship you new media.

No it is not. When you purchase a Windows CD or DVD you purchase the Serial. That is what you pay for. The Media itself can be shared. If not then each CD would be branded with a serial instead of asking for it upon install.

It is not a grey area at all. If it was then M$ themselves wouldnt be able to allow MSDN and TechNet subscribers to download the media as that would be illegal. There is nothing wrong with it. Plus i do know what i am talking about. I am a MVP for Microsoft as well.

No it is not. When you purchase a Windows CD or DVD you purchase the Serial. That is what you pay for. The Media itself can be shared. If not then each CD would be branded with a serial instead of asking for it upon install.

It is not a grey area at all. If it was then M$ themselves wouldnt be able to allow MSDN and TechNet subscribers to download the media as that would be illegal. There is nothing wrong with it. Plus i do know what i am talking about. I am a MVP for Microsoft as well.

You do pay for the license. And you can use others without invalidating it. However the cd is NOT shareware. Its not intended to be shared or given out. (Hence why it says do not lend or make copy's of this disc on the label.)

Agreed with Mak. It's legal to download the disc if you already have the serial. As long as you have a legit s/n, then there's no problem. All they really care about are the serial numbers, and not the actual discs. This is why M$ will sometimes send them out to you for free...

Okya let me explain it this way. The CD IS Shareware. You can install XP and Vista both with with having atrial period before activateion. XP you get 30 days. Vista you get 120 days. (With the SL REARM trick)

Now how is that NOT shareware.

Plus M$ themselves have had XP and VIsta up for download for trial purposes. It IS SHAREWARE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom