Organizing Files in Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuk

Beta member
In Windows XP, I put the "My Documents" folder onto a different letter drive in another partition. In Windows Vista, this folder is called (User Name), in my case "Neil".

On my desktop I have the "Neil" folder, which takes me to a list of folders (the bluish green ones) that say videos, pictures, etc. I successfully transferred the location to the E Drive, and have created more folders in the E Drive, but whenever I click the "Neil" folder, it only shows the bluish green folders and not the other ones. How do I make it so that clicking on "Neil" shows the E Drive? Thanks!

You would have to create a shortcut on your desktop for the drive. If you created the folders within the drive and not within the Documents folder you will never see them when you click it.

Create a shorcut to the Drive and you will see what you want.

It'll be a registry tweak required for sure.
I've not played about with vista yet so can not help, but it should be as simple as that.
Or with XP you could right click the my docs icon and go in to the properties.. In there you could change the location (which just modified the registry)

If you read his first post he already moved the folder to where he wants. It is on another drive it is jsut that the drive contains several other folders that are not present since they are on the root drive not within the the documents folder.

Hence why i said to create a shortcut to the drive on the desktop. Vista allows you to move the documents folder just like it did in XP it is just that the folders are not contained within the Documents folder. So there for nothing would accomplish what he wants but a drive shortcut.

sounded to me the mydocs icon (or equiv) was still pointing to the old location.

Is that right ?? or am i totally off here.

No it is that when he opens the current shortcut it only shows teh Documents. The thing is he has more folders on the drive he wishes ti view. Which cant be accomplished with a shortcut to the documents folder alone.

I successfully transferred the location to the E Drive, and have created more folders in the E Drive, but whenever I click the "Neil" folder, it only shows the bluish green folders and not the other ones
How can it not read that way? He transfered the folder. Created more folders. But when he opens teh Docs folder he doesnt see the created ones.

I think i know just a hair more about Vista since you have already stated you dont use it. I have for over a year now. Not to be rude but honestly i think i have a idea what i am talking aobut. Espically when in his response he said thanks to me even before you had to bump in with your Registry Tweak which wont work in Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom