Optimizing 8800 GT Sli Setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Alright, so I just got a 2nd EVGA 8800 GT for SLI. I have a AMD X2 4400+ CPU, 4GB Dual channel ram, and ASUS A8N32-SLI Motherboard. Yes, I know, it IS five years old. All I want is enough performance to last me at least 1 more full year. However, I have come to notice I am getting 2-3 second freezes and frame rate drops in L4D2.. with the 2nd video card, though, it fixed that (although it still freezes in the lobby, but I think L4D2 Just sucks)

So they are both running at:
700MHz Core
1750MHz Shader
1001MHz Memory
GPU1 = 63C (idle)
GPU2 = 66C (idle) (I need to move the USB card under it up because its kinda only giving it a small amount of air space)
About 75C full load
CPU about 135F full load

I am trying to get better performance out of Crysis. I would -like- to run high, but I may be pushing it.

So here is what I'm running in Nvidia Control Panel:
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anistropic Filtering: App controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: On
AA Mode: App controlled
AA Setting (disabled): App controlled
Max. Prerendered frames**: 8, I changed it from 3
Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration: Single display performance
SLI Performance mode: Nvidia recommended (wtf I changed this!)
Texture Filtering - AF Sample option: Off
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Allow
Texture Filtering - Quality: Quality
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: on
Threaded Optimization: Auto
Triple Buffering: off
Vertical Sync: Force Off
PhysX GPU Acceleration: Enabled (what should this be on?)
SLI config: Enable SLI (duh)

I run Windows 7 Pro x64.

I installed nHancer, but I really don't know what to change with it.

And GTAIV still runs at ****ty frame rate, that game sucks anyhow. So what are some recommended configurations? I know my CPU is a bit slow, but it meets the recommended CPU for the game, so does my GPU. So it exceeds the min requirements.

What should I be running on in-game as well?

I should also note that I am running the Crysis Demo. Has there been patches since then for optimization?

I have 4GB of this ram: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB (2X1GB) Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Memory Retail at ZipZoomfly

CPU about 135F full load

There is your issue. That is HOT. You need to get your CPU cooled. Not worry about your video so much.

What should it be at then? And I use the "ASUS Mars" Cpu cooler. Time to upgrade? If so, what should I get for the 939 socket?

I dont know what it should be. I can move this to the hardware section for you so you can get advice from the people who know more about hardware. But i can almost bet that 135F under load will not be good. If i am not mistaken most CPU's have a threshold of 140F. So you are almost at the max before the system will shut down due to heat.

I would start by using a can of compressed air to clean out the inside of the system and the heat sinks. See if that helps. I would also check to make sure you dont have any wires in the way of the fans to prevent them from having good air flow.

yes for sure do what mak said, aswell if you have some thermal paste you should try re applying it to see if that can drop your temps enough that you dont need to buy a new heatsink. As for a 939 heatsink, are yu using the stock one that came with ur cpu? You would most likely be quite fine with the most basic of aftermarket coolers, so just search 939 heatsinks.

I dont know what it should be. I can move this to the hardware section for you so you can get advice from the people who know more about hardware. But i can almost bet that 135F under load will not be good. If i am not mistaken most CPU's have a threshold of 140F. So you are almost at the max before the system will shut down due to heat.

I would start by using a can of compressed air to clean out the inside of the system and the heat sinks. See if that helps. I would also check to make sure you dont have any wires in the way of the fans to prevent them from having good air flow.

140F is only 60 CELSIUS, lol. 60C is not too bad under load. Most CPU's thermal threshold is around 95-110C.

But the big thing holding you back is your CPU. Have you tried overclocking it.

^yeah but what is the thresh hold for that cpu? i honestly have no idea, i was just playing of that mak thought that was hot lol...maybe im wrong that he is right lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom