optic virus need help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default optic virus need help

Hi, I have a problem with a virus that is on my brother's laptop.He called gateway and they told him he had the optic virus and a torjan.It is causing all programs to be .lnk files and when you try to click on a program you have to tell the computer what to open it with. I was able to get some files to open by following the target and opening it manualy.But I can not get rid of this virus I ran Norton 2004. panda anti-virus. F-secure. ad-aware. spyware protection and system mechanic. norton found the infection when it did its prescan before i installed it but was unable to remove it. I click to open norton and it the hour glass comes up and goes away and norton never opens. panda found no virus f-secure found it but was unable to remove it. I could not get stinger to open.

now it seems nothing will open and everything is like norton i get an hour glass and then it goes away and nothing opens.I don't want to format but if it is my only choice i will the o/s is xp pro and if someone and help me with the formating if it needs to be done. I know you put in the boot disk and just reinstall windows but i think since it is a virus i need to clear the partitions which i don't know how to. thanks for all the help.

Old 06-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Do you have a Restore CD with your system? I though that XP was able to restore itself even. THis will erase everything not on the computer when you select the date to restore from.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah it has that I guess i can try that but last time i used that my computer would no longer boot up i ll try it with the laptop though it can't get any worst then it is
thanks i ll let you know how it works
My set up built april 2004
nvida 5600FX 256MB 8X graphic card W/ tv out
NEC-2500a & NEC-3500a dvd burner
soyo dragon II mother board
P4 2.4ghz HT 800mhz fsb
120GB maxtor HD & 500gb sata hd
512mb ram pc3200 400mhz made by ultra
Closed Thread