optic virus need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a problem with a virus that is on my brother's laptop.He called gateway and they told him he had the optic virus and a torjan.It is causing all programs to be .lnk files and when you try to click on a program you have to tell the computer what to open it with. I was able to get some files to open by following the target and opening it manualy.But I can not get rid of this virus I ran Norton 2004. panda anti-virus. F-secure. ad-aware. spyware protection and system mechanic. norton found the infection when it did its prescan before i installed it but was unable to remove it. I click to open norton and it the hour glass comes up and goes away and norton never opens. panda found no virus f-secure found it but was unable to remove it. I could not get stinger to open.

now it seems nothing will open and everything is like norton i get an hour glass and then it goes away and nothing opens.I don't want to format but if it is my only choice i will the o/s is xp pro and if someone and help me with the formating if it needs to be done. I know you put in the boot disk and just reinstall windows but i think since it is a virus i need to clear the partitions which i don't know how to. thanks for all the help.

Do you have a Restore CD with your system? I though that XP was able to restore itself even. THis will erase everything not on the computer when you select the date to restore from.

yeah it has that I guess i can try that but last time i used that my computer would no longer boot up i ll try it with the laptop though it can't get any worst then it is
thanks i ll let you know how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom