Opinions Please - WinXP on a P-II/400 - too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
HI all,

I am just doing an informal "survey". I have an IBM Thinkpad Laptop (600E) which is a P-II/400Mhz machine with 288MB of RAM. It's currently running WinME.

I've benn contemplating formatting and installing XP-Pro on it. Do y'all think it's worth it, or will it just slow my computer down to a crawl?

Viken

XP Pro system requirements:

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);

Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.

I would say you could atleast tweek the system down alot cause Im thinking its gonna crawl lol.
But on the otherhand, it really depends on what usage you need out of it

I wouldn't suggest it either. You won't get the full "experience" of XP with how much you will have to water it down.

If you really wanted to go to a better OS and one close to the XP format I have all the Windows OS's including XP Pro and i like it but nothing has ever performed for me personally faster than Windows 2000 Pro is's very stable and man does it perform great!

I've run XP Pro on my PII-350 w/224mb of PC100 RAM, and it wasn't all that bad actually. Of course you won't be able to turn on all the eye candy and fully "experience" XP, but I'm sure it would be more stable than ME.

as you already know vikenk from reading above, you do pass the reqs. basically if you want xp, after install increase your paging file to around 1.5gigs and turn down all effects. then disable the services you dont need and turn off sys restore since it never works anyways. ;)

I use XP on a 500MHZ system with 192MB of RAM and it is actually performing much better than 98 which we used to have, i think either Windows 2000 or Windows XP will work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom