Operating systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lencho

Banned
ok i was wondering... whats wrong with xp... someone said that having it when you connect online it sends you alot of pop ups... is it true also tell me if theres anything else wrong with it.:bald:

nothings wrong with it....pop ups are internet related or website related rather. just get a good pop-up stopper....

www.panicware.com

click on the link...if been using their software from win 98 to xp.

also get "ad-aware 6" for spyware protection.

get "zonealarm" for firewall

and "AVG" for virus protection

theyre all free.

One problem is that XP has Windows Messenger log on when you check Hotmail. Also, if a .NET Passport is in the user account for the PC, it will log on as XP so others can connect to your PC for remote assistance. Nice security flaws.

It aint just the popups, what about all the 'xp phone home' stuff?........ .....nice to know that M$ get a record of anything you install, PLAY or BURN on your pc isn't it?..............and believe it or not there are still idiots out there using WMP8/9 ..............or the inbuilt burning software.

Or the fact that it 'borrows' about 20% of your internet bandwith, without asking?

Or as noted above virtually DEMANDS you get a Net Passport (so they can track you just that bit easier)..............

Or maybe the fact that a new install is WIDE OPEN and has ZERO security?...........

What you MUST do with EVERY new XP install is get those services under control....... get a good firewall..... (NEVER use the xp firewall, it only stops things coming IN, when its the stuff going OUT that you need to stop the most!) like Outpost, Sygate or Kerio and CONFIGURE it correctly.... use your firewall in conjunction with the Proxomitron (or similar) for added protection.

Then comes your AV..... then Adaware and Spybot.

Only at this point is your XP install ready for the big wide world...........

Changing your browser might be good idea too........

After that XP is pretty good (ish) imo.

theres a work around in just about every flaw enumerated above,

you can regain those 20% by gpedit.msc.
you can diable remote assistance.

but as a beginner, you should find xp user friendly,..provided that your not going to configure it.

roho as also stated a good advice. i suggest you do it...

Bah, i don't even care. I've got a .NET passport and I use Windows Media Player to rip, play, and burn my music... MS can track me all they want, or steal my personal info, take pictures of my cat, whatever. I run my computer without a firewall, without antivirus software, and with no form of spyware protection. I've been running it like this ever since XP came out, and I've never had a problem.

The way I see it, all the firewalls and antivirus programs necessary to have a 'secure' computer are too much of a pain to make it worthwhile. I'd rather have to deal with the occasional virus infection or with MS watching my every move.. but I guess that's just my personal preference.. ;)

Wow tough guy showing he dont give a $%^& women like that..... also the flaming hermit fad.

hey the XP Firewall seems to be working well though, even Internet Explorer has told me that someone has tried to hack in.

With XP Home you don't have gpedit.msc it's only in XP pro, is there another way to get back your bandwith?

I have got Norton Systemworks 2003 (antivirus) and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 so I am pretty secure

and how would i block some of the stuff getting to M$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom