Operating System won't start!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathscytheX5

Solid State Member
Hello all.

I have a serious problem here with my computer.

When the Operating System tries to load, right after the XP professional loading screen, the computer restarts.

If I press F8 at the start-up and choose the option 'Don't restart computer on system failure' after the XP screen, a blue sceen appears with some error like 'error occured at (0000????) x (00000000) system ended.

I belive I know what the problem is,

I can recall that one of the last things I did (which was kinda stupid :sigh: ) was that moved the dll file 'secur32.dll' from the system32 folder and into a new one.

Here I renamed it secur32.dll[System32] with the intentions of returning it.

I was tryng to get rid of a program that I could not delete, one of its dependancies was secur32.dll so I moved to another location so that it could not read it. :confused:

When I restarted the computer it could not load again!!! :eek:

I then learned that secur32.dll was essential for the OS to load.

I was wondering if there is some way to:

(1) Read the file from a floppy at the required time.

(2) Run the OS in some MS-DOS or command prompt mode where I won't get the error and may be able to copy back to file to the required place. (Note: I treid all the options at the F8 screen)

(3) Download files from internet to make a start up disk to run the secur32.dll or copy it to its place.

Please help me quickly someone!

I shall post if needed the error on the blue screen.

Thank you for your time!

What do you mean by this?

Do I need the OS installation CD to do this?, because I do not have one.

Will this cause all of my files to be erased?

Exacatly where is this option located? Because I cant go as far as to load the operating system.

Thanks for the speed of your reply!

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the listy and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

theres an easier way , simply use bartpe,ubcd4win or reatogo
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
http://www.reatogo.de/
basicly it will create a windows *live cd* and after its loaded just put that file back where it should be and rename it back too

and just FYI thats a legitmate file
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/secur32/
windows have various dll libraries you really shouldnt delete/move/rename any just cuz some spyware is using it , as they are also used by legitmate applications

Thanks, but I think I will need the XP CD for this method, (which I don't have). But I fully understand all the steps of this method.

Would I need the exact CD that my copy of XP was installed with? or can I use someone elses?

And exactly what is the name of the CD? something like, XP intallation CD, XP Repair Disk? I really have never had any XP CD,s so do don't know if there are different ones.

Thanks for your help, I know I'm asking alot but I really need the help,

And so there is no way of loading the file from some floppy disk?

It would really be better because I've never been able to borrow a proper XP disk.

I already copied the required dll file from another computer unto a floppy, can I make it into some kind of bootable disk?

You dont have to use the exact XP CD that was used to install. You can use any XP CD as long as it is your version. Need a XP Home CD for a Home install. A XP Pro CD for a Pro install.

Copying the files wont do you any good since you cant get into a DOS prompt. Cant make the floppy bootable. There are Bootable floppies for XP but it is like 6 Floppies to do so.

jeremy I just read your method,

so I'm supposed to copy download this disk and how does it work?

Is is that I need a blank CD which the program will create the boot disk on?

Then I use this new CD on my other computer as I turn it on and continue on from there?

The place where I'm typing at now I won't have the time to make a big download but I will still try,

can you further explain exactly what happens, Thanks.

its not really a big download as you gotta have an xp cd with sp1 or sp2 integrated in order to build that windows *live cd* , and if it aint integrated you can easily integrate it , anyway basicly after its all done you just boot from it and use windows explorer (if reatogo) or some alternative file manager (if ubcd4win) to get it done

alternativly you can use knoppix or kanotix (linux live cds)
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng
knoppix have builitin kernel enabled ntfs support but its experimental cant say how well it will work , and kanotix doesnt have the kernel ntfs write support enabled but it comes with captive (a realiable ntfs write driver,but personally i didnt had much luck with it) , overall both distros are pretty easy to use and have a nice looking desktop

I think I'm getting what you guys are saying here but is there any way that I can do this without an XP CD?

Does any of these links you'll have given me not require an XP disk?

I do not have access to this XP CD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom