Operating System Problem (XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearonc

Beta member
Here is the message I receive from my friend (working from a different computer). Any suggestions on the approach to take on diagnosing the issue?

Thanks!

"Who knows what I did to the computer. It went to that black screen where it tells you that something happened and the computer needs to go to the last working configuration, and there's a countdown at the bottom. On mine, that screen goes to the Windows screen then immediately goes to the DPS off mode screen then immediately goes back to the black screen and so forth and so on. If you turn the computer off, after a while it turns itself back on. There are other modes listed, such as Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or something like that. If I check on of the others, the screen fills up with small white writing for a second, then goes back to the original black screen and starts the process over. If I hit Tab or Del or something I get a blue box with all manner of technical jargon. "

Repair install.
If that doesn't work reformat that computer and start from scratch. Connect the hard drive to another computer to get what data he wants to save before formatting.

Considering he doesn't know what he did and the symptoms seem erratic, I would venture to say something is REALLY messed up with the system (virus/system registry/windows files corrupted) and I would suggest a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom