operating system - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2002, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

uhm, huh?

Old 10-29-2002, 08:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Xerion Send a message via AIM to Xerion Send a message via Yahoo to Xerion

i think win2k pro is the best
debaser,yes,maybe he is about on longhorn

Celeron 766MHz at 66MHz bus
192 MB RAM: 1x 64 MB + 1x 128mb,both pc 133mhz,but running at 100mhz,cause bus+33mhz
inno3d/innovision tornado GeForce 4 mx 440 64mb ddr,tv-out
40gb 7400rpm Maxtor HDD
Old 10-29-2002, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to kannan Send a message via AIM to kannan Send a message via Yahoo to kannan

As for as i know Longhorn is going to be lauched in end of 2002 or may be start of 2003. But I am really sure that Blackcomb will be release in the mid of 2004. Blackcomb will be the next major release and longhorn is a minor version of XP. But I am not sure about the longhorn. Still as far as i am concerned it is better to wait till we know about the longhorn.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

oh my.

anyone have any linkage?
Old 10-31-2002, 09:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

another thing you might keep in mind is security. xp home has none. there is no support for passwords on home networking. anything you share is free for everybody, and altho that's not bad for some home networks, others, such as on a college workgroup, it's nice to have some security.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to DAOWebe

I fully understand why Microsoft wants to protect their product rights and that they certainly have every right to do so. However! I am a developer/tester and use multiple platforms and configurations to develop and test. I would be much happier if MS would allow an OS to be licensed to a hard drive rather than a machine and it’s configuration. After all, if I have a valid install on a (or multiple) hard drive(s) isn’t that all MS has the right to know?
The fact that I often have to spend hours fixing or creating drivers doesn’t help either. The dependency on the configuration and lack of available drivers is difficult to deal with in my work and as a result I suggest to my customers that use stand-alone systems that they don’t use XP unless they have the time and ability to re-activate. If your running an offline system this can be a real pain.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i use both windows 2000 on my (T20 thinkpad) and windows xp pro on my p4 home system, i havent had too many problems with either . since they are built pretty much on the same kernel i guess this is expected. howerver Xp does have some advantages over the previous windows 2000 os. mostly ease of operation for users / eye candy .Microsoft has really taken care of an other wise bland computing experience by making Xp nice looking and very rock solid.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My laptop 385XD came with Windows 98 installed, including a Recovery Disc that contains Win98 plus a host of complimentary software from IBM .

When I tried to install Windows ME, using the ME upgrade, at one stage it asks to insert a CD as proof of a previous Windows OE. But when I inserted the 1998 Recovery Disc, Windows ME upgrade refused to accept it.

If you have managed to upgrade your OE, using the original REcovery Disc that came with your computer to validate, would you like to explain how you managed to upgrade successfully.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to charleslong

Originally posted by Matt-won-kanobe
I think XP is horrible! Go for Windows 2000 pro/server, doesn't really matter much if you're just an internet end-user. But if you like colors, and flowerly stuff, then go with XP. XP is way too fancy, and it slow down many of my steps when I use the computer.
why do you recommend 2000 pro/server?

If anyone know why, key me in, b/c im clueless.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Originally posted by azury
What is the idea going around for the homes editions...?
Professional is always better.
There isn't much diffrence. Pro version has admin tools and it has folder permissions. Something the average home user wont understand anyway, so why spend the money?

Also I agree with the windows 2000 users, I believe windows 2000 to be far superior to windows XP. Windows 2000 is a much more mature operating system, as it has been debugged for a much longer period of time. Windows XP is also slower, who needs that fancy GUI. The first thing I did on my grandparents machine was turn that off. It also has more bugs, including ones to do with security.

Closed Thread