OpenOffice in Windows Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Joker

Solid State Member
Hi there. I have to use safe mode for my laptop to run at a decent speed because it sucks, although I did have to go to normal mode to install OpenOffice in the first place. I can't use my laptop at a reasonable pace in normal mode, hence the safe mode.

Now, I can write pages and pages of text in writer in safe mode, but when it comes to saving, it won't let me. I'm wondering whether this is to do with my PC or to do with the software.

The sooner I get an answer, the better because I have an essay that needs to be written.

Thanks in advance,

~Mr.Joker~

Note: I use OpenOffice v.3.3 and my operating system is Windows Vista Home Basic

Hi there. I have to use safe mode for my laptop to run at a decent speed because it sucks, although I did have to go to normal mode to install OpenOffice in the first place. I can't use my laptop at a reasonable pace in normal mode, hence the safe mode.

Now, I can write pages and pages of text in writer in safe mode, but when it comes to saving, it won't let me. I'm wondering whether this is to do with my PC or to do with the software.

The sooner I get an answer, the better because I have an essay that needs to be written.

Thanks in advance,

~Mr.Joker~

Note: I use OpenOffice v.3.3 and my operating system is Windows Vista Home Basic

Thats odd, v3.3 should have had that save as glitch problem fixed after v3.2.
Is your java installed correctly and which java runtime package are you using by chance ?

Even though Microsoft office 2010 cost about 129.00+ to use a license, you could use a free 30 day trial from microsoft themselves.

Depending on what you do with office work or school or you are on a low strict budget, microsoft will work with you closely to make very good reasonable payments to them over a small period of time.

About vista basic, check and see if it supports openoffice 3.3.

Use Ubuntu, and your machine will go much faster. It has either OpenOffice or LibreOffice in it. Depends on what version number.

OK. I think Linux would be best, but I need a hand.

Would it be possible to wipe my HDD of everything (including windows) and have only Linux installed?

Because my HDD is pretty full. Linux takes up 5GB HDD space, Windows takes up 10GB.

Also, what other good programs would I be able to install?

Sure, you can wipe your drive and install Linux. Linux isn't something on top of Windows, it runs on its own.

What programs do you need? There are thousand of programs out there.

I'd suggest you get Lubuntu. Ubuntu with LXDE. It's meant to run on older systems.

Thanks. I downloaded Ubuntu and put that onto a disk. My laptop takes a little while to burn onto a disk. I'm using my shared computer, which runs Windows 7 Home Premium, but the disk drive has had it, so I have to use the dodgy laptop (the one I'm converting to Linux) to burn the disks. Do you think Ubuntu would work on my system? The RAM is 500mb and it has a 40gb HDD. It's graphics card doesn't support DirectX 9.0c

Thanks. I downloaded Ubuntu and put that onto a disk. My laptop takes a little while to burn onto a disk. I'm using my shared computer, which runs Windows 7 Home Premium, but the disk drive has had it, so I have to use the dodgy laptop (the one I'm converting to Linux) to burn the disks. Do you think Ubuntu would work on my system? The RAM is 500mb and it has a 40gb HDD. It's graphics card doesn't support DirectX 9.0c

Maybe or Maybe not, want to know why ?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Tell us a brief description of your computer hardware.
The only thing for now that is telling me it may not work is not enough ram.
You could download cpu-z and that would tell us what you have so far.
Microsoft windows 7 supports direct x 9.0c with a passion after a quick update.
If your video card is too old, windows 7 won't support you on it continuing without issues to arise.

Give us that info and we should be able to tell you if your good to go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom