Oops! forgotten DScrypt password - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Oops! forgotten DScrypt password

Can someone provide some advice on how to unencrypt a file I encrypted with DsCrypt 1.1? I used (a max) of 10 characters in the password, 6 letters and 4 numbers. I know the first character and all the letters and numbers that might be used, but i've gone through over sixty iterations of the password so far with no success. My password is based on interchanging numbers for letters (3 for e, 7 for L, etc.) and wasn't meant to be very secure. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Information on the DsCrypt program is as follows:

"dsCrypt is AES/Rijndael file encryption software with simple, multi-file, drag-and-drop operations. It features optimal implementation, performance and safety measures. dsCrypt uses an advanced encryption algorithm and offers unique options for enhanced security"

Old 05-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

as far as i know theres no program that can brutforce files encrypted by dscrypt , and even if there was it probably would have take months to years as the algroithm is strong , and considering its open source the person who made it probably didnt implant a backdoor , basicly theres a few ways

1) do your best to remember what it was
2) go on on tryin to guess it
3) if its really important , try hypnosis

Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Oops! forgotten DScrypt password

thanks anyway, I was hoping that since I knew all the characters and the general sequence there would be a program that I could use to just continually try those letters and numbers. I'm sure I can put enough constraints on the texts to attempt that it would drastically reduce the time involved to find the correct sequence. I'll keep looking (and guessing...). Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Old 05-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Brute Force is your only option you should really remember your encryption passwords though. I lost alot of files about a year back that way.
<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Closed Thread