Online Windows Media Player has no sound - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Online Windows Media Player has no sound

Am hoping that someone has seen this problem and knows what to do to fix it. I have Windows XP pro embedded SP2 with IE 7 and Windows Media Player 11. My problem is that when I use the online WMP player I get video fine but absolutely no sound. I subscribe to MLB.com (MLB Baseball games) and when I log on I get the game video but no sound. I tried copying the URL and pasting it into WMP 11 (not the online player) and get the exact same problem. When I use my wife's computer everything is fine, so it's not a stream problem from their servers. I tried going to a restore point before I upgraded to IE 7 and WMP 11 and still have the same problem. I can find nowhere on Microsoft site about troubleshooting this kind of problem. I'm sure I can solve the problem with a full XP reinstall, but that's a real bummer if I have to do that. Hope someone has at least some troubleshooting techniques I can use.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neowin.net

Default Re: Online Windows Media Player has no sound

you might need to use whats called an "Active X control" the website should supply that for you. However, if your machine is a little junked up with spyware it may not be giving you the option to install the active X control.

try this...

1) open IE7 and click Tools on the right side of your screen.
2) select Internet Options
3) click the Advanced tab
4) under Reset Internet Explorer Settings click the Reset... button

Old 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the quick response. I tried what you said and still no sound. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Again my thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neowin.net

try this out, |MG| Free Download - K-Lite Codec Pack Full 3.25
Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Smile Re: Online Windows Media Player has no sound

Thanks ECTech, that did the trick, I'm very grateful for your help, didn't really want to re-install XP. I've come to this forum twice for help and both times the great people like you have solved my XP problems. Again, my thanks.
Closed Thread