one time occurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Well, I was surfin through the pages of techforums here and I posted something. Before it was done loading, I clicked on my favorites on my browser and selected a site. All the sudden, around 40, yes, 40 IE windows popped up all at once (the number when grouped shows up on the XP toolbar).

I brought up taskmanager and promptly closed IE. Then I noticed my CPU usage was at 50 percent. I looked for the culprit, it was dumpreg.exe, it was running twice with another exe that started with dww something. I had to close these items more than 5 times before they closed for good. I still noticed the CPU usage running at 50%, so I searched again for the culprit, this time it was realplayer, I wondered WTH is this running? So I close it, but what's that? CPU running at 50% again? It was explorer this time, so I had to end up closing explorer and a few other things and finally, after I started explorer again, I regained controll of my computer.

After this shindig, I promptly ran updated versions of my antivirus, spyware and adware programs and found nothing out of the ordinary. This is the first time this has happened on any of my computers ever.

What on earth could it be?

sounds an awful lot like spyware to me, except that apparently it is not happening anymore?
that usually doesn't happen with spyware, it would usually stay on your computer until you remove it

EricB said:
You know what we are going to save.....

Firefox

LOL, at least I don't use IE.

Here's what I used to scan my comp with:

McAfee antivirus, updated
Adaware, updated
Spybot, updated
I also have spyware blaster running as well as zonealarm, both updated

this problem has not happened again by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom