One thing i need to clear up about vista - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default One thing i need to clear up about vista

Ive largely ignored most things about vista coz i always viewed it as being a long way off, but now that its just around the corner i need to clear something up.......

I have a 7900 series graphics card, can i safetly install a copy of vista onto my machine and play games without any problems?? Ive heard about a special version of directx9 being 9.0L which might allow me to do this??

Can someone clear this up?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Okay first and foremost. Vista is only a Beta OS. It still inst Released to Manufacturing yet. So you will be messig with a work in progress till it gets released next year.

So the answer to your question is a doulbe edged sword. Vista is stable. It does run most apps woth little to no problems. But some gmaes and some apps do have issues. that is for the game and application developer to fix not M$. That is a common mistake. Everything thinks it is M$'s fault if a app doesnt work with Vista.

Vista is coded totally different than XP and therefor not every piece of software on XP will work on Vista. Not until they patch it to work on Vista.

As far as the Direct X question. DX9c is the latest version. I have not heard of no DX9L. That is a myth. I use the Most current DX9 (Oct SDK) and it still isnt labeled no DX9L or anything like that. I currently run several games on Vista with no problem.

Doom 3, Warcraft 3, UT2004, Halo, PainKiller, Starcraft, Doom 3 ROE, Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. I have run into issues with Steam and Steam games. The Steam client doesnt run on Vista.

So if you play Steam games then you will have to wait till Steam can fix their problem between the applicaiton and the new OS. Some other games do have some minor issues. But nothing major.

Also know that DX10 will not be released for XP.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

thanks for your help, im not planning to get vista till public release, but its good to know that news about directx 9.0c being ok. I was beginning to think vista would require no less than a directx 10 card.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

your card shouldn't be any problem...being an nvidia gpu, you have much better support and updated drivers than we pathetic ati owners

That said, 9L DX is an optimized old gen driver for Vista, quick read for what it is:
Closed Thread