OMG Windows Process Madness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
ok so since I got a gaming laptop, I pay pretty close attention to the amount of processes in the background and recently there has been a spike in processes. Currently I have 5 svchost.exe running and 3 rundll32.exe going. I'm assuming this is quite abnormal since I've never noticed this before. However, McAfee's virus scanner didn't catch anything and neither did Spybot. Any clues about why I got so many of each program running?

You should only have one rundll32.exe running.

rundll32.exe is often used/exploited by trojans. Its is normal to have one, but more then that is a problem. You should update your AV and scan. There are online onces as well. (macafee)

Ste said:
You should only have one rundll32.exe running.

rundll32.exe is often used/exploited by trojans. Its is normal to have one, but more then that is a problem. You should update your AV and scan. There are online onces as well. (macafee)

I have 2 of those, neither is using any cpu power though and they both say Compaq owner(which is me)

I have built serveral PC's and used many others, I have never noticed more then one.
Not to say thats its not normal for your OS and Specific Build. Just curious.
Open MSconfig and see where the processes root is.

I dont know which tab im meant to be on? i cant see anything on msconfig that says process!?
ive got general, system.ini, win.ini, boot.ini, services, startup and tools?

Click the Startup tab, it will show you what processes start up when windows Starts. The ones that are disabled do not have a check next to them.

ahh i know why im confused, ive used msconfig cleanup, so basically everything ive disabled has gone off the list, the only ones on there are the ones I DO want on startup.

Is there another way of doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom