Older version of Norton...is it good enough? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Older version of Norton...is it good enough?

I have a free trial of Norton IS 2002 and Ive been using that recently...I just pretty much reinstall it after the 3 month period. My question is is this good enough, even tho its 2002? I have all the updates and stuff, but i still wonder how good it is.

I would buy the 2005 version for 25 bux, but if this one is fine I would rather stick to it.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

If you get the regular updates for your version then yes you should be fine using that version.

The difference between your version and the newer 2005 version is that all the online updates you received are already bundled in the 2005 version (or at least that should be the case).

As long as you update your vesion regularly, you will be fine.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

you may have to reinstall after a year, because the subscription status will end, however. Mine expires and I have systemworks 03.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by talldude123
you may have to reinstall after a year, because the subscription status will end, however. Mine expires and I have systemworks 03.
talldude123, Please stop trying to get a high post count, as he has said, already, he re-installs every three months.

-SkyHi
Old 05-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Older version of Norton...is it good enough?

Quote:
Originally posted by adinu
I have a free trial of Norton IS 2002 and Ive been using that recently...I just pretty much reinstall it after the 3 month period. My question is is this good enough, even tho its 2002? I have all the updates and stuff, but i still wonder how good it is.

I would buy the 2005 version for 25 bux, but if this one is fine I would rather stick to it.
norton 2005 isn't any good, so that tell you about 2002.
use avast or avg
Old 05-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to psman

Norton Sucks anyway so go for a Kaspersky or Mcafee
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

I agree with EricB, go with AVG FREE. It's the only thing i use and you get the free updates too.

Drworm2005.
XFX Geforce 6600 GT 128mb
80gig segate serial ATA HDD
LG Lightscribe DVD burner
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Symantec has moved almost its entire development and marketing division over to focus on the corporate security sector. In other words, Norton is great as an enterprise solution, but if yer just using it on one home machine, and you don't have it setup correctly, yer in for more hassel than most people can put up with.

As for the question, an older version of Norton will work, and it may even continue to run after a year. However, the live-update system will most likely stop functioning (if it hasn't already) due to the version dependencies. Norton is relatively cheap, anyway, so just upgrade if you like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyHi
talldude123, Please stop trying to get a high post count, as he has said, already, he re-installs every three months.
And stop padding YOUR post count by posting rather than PMing.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...5&pagenumber=1

a new virus trick for NAV is to make you think norton is scanning your computer when everybody (crackers) else is, but norton. Ditch norton. it code is so old and widespread my son could probably crack it. people (Crackers) are using norton to their advantage

Closed Thread