Old Pentium III won't recognize CD/DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnulr

Solid State Member
Hello,

I've tried many combinations of "Primary" on the MB and "slave" on the CD or DVD (makes no difference) to "Secondary" on the MB and "Master" on the CD end. "Nada".

This is an older computer made by "Gateway" and their website doesn't even detect the model # anymore so they're really no help. I may try an email to their tech-support as my last resort.

My goal is to save a few of my son-in-law's files then format and re-install XP Pro again. PROBLEM: I need to have at least a Cd rom drive working to do this.

This old computer had an "unusual" configuration in that it had an "Ultra ATA66" Pci card which the hardrive (only one) was attached to. So, "nothing" was attached to the "Primary" slot on the MB. So, I've removed that too in hopes it would recognize a more normal config when attaching the hard drive to the "Primary" slot on the mb. It didn't help. This PCI card was made by "Promise" technology Inc.

Here's the specs on this computer:
1. 500mhz processor by Intel
2. 384 megs of ram (3 128meg sticks of memory)
3. Quantum 40 gig hard drive.
4. Gateway 500 model (desktop)

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jnulr

O.K. Here they are:
1. Original DVD - Rom that came w/computer.Made by toshiba, Model # SD-M1212, Date of Mfg. 1999...when connected it opens/closes and the CD light comes on.
2.Latest one I tried: CDROM drive - Model # CHA-56, mfg date 3/2002, Made by "Ultima Electronics" Taiwan.
3. DVD rom - made by LG, Model # DRD-8160B, Made in Seoul Korea
4. CD-R/RW Made by LG, Model # GCE-8240B, Mfg. date is 3/2002

Here's the exact data on the back of the PC:
. model #TBR3 500 PIII BY "Gateway" also had the words " LP mini tower". mfg date was 8/11/1999

Appreciate anything you can suggest.

jnulr
All the above except # 1 are extras I've had as backup drives for anyone needing one.

Well any PC that is running a PIII is too old to run SATA so it has to be IDE. With IDE there are only 4 "Channels" that you can hook devices up to. So the HDD is 1. If you have a 2nd HDD that would make 2. Each CD/DVD drive makes a device. So that is a start.

The best thing to do is to check your motherboard. The 42 Pin connector goes to a spot on the motherboard. The first spot has the HDD. The 2nd spot is where you should be hooking up your CD/DVD drives.

You should hook up the Burner first. Then the Rom Drive. I know it sounds wierd but most of the Burner instructions say it this way. From there install the cables. The cable is the most inportant part.

IDE_cable2.jpg

Now looking at this picture you got the 2 connectors on the left close together. Those are the ones you will hook up to your drives. The one that has some length to it goes to the mobo.

The first connector all the way to the left is the slave connector. The next one is the master. That is a common mistake that people dont realize. That the master and slave connection are reversed on the IDE cable.

That is why the burner should be on top and the Rom drive underneath. That way the burner get the slave connection while the ROM drives get the master connection.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom