Old Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
I'm completely stumped here. See, my old machine had this 40GB ATA/133 harddrive, and my current machine has this 250GB Sata harddrive. Just recently I threw my old machines harddrive into my current machine, so I could get all my old files and stuff :p

So anyways, I never reformatted it, so all my old files are still intact. Theres lots of files in my Profile (Documents and Settings -> Admin) and I wanna get them. BUt everytime I try to access it, it always says ACCESS IS DENIED. Grr.. Any ideas how I can open this folder??

Thanks

1. Log on as Administrator.

2. First you need to turn off simple file sharing if it's on. To do that, click Start | My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then the View tab. Go to Advanced Settings and clear the box that says Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended). Click OK.

3. Now navigate to the folder you want to own, and right click it. Select Properties from the context menu.

4. Click the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list under "Change owner to," click Administrators. If you also want to take over ownership of everything within a folder, check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

6. Click OK. Remember that this only works on files and folders stored on NTFS partitions. Objects stored on FAT partitions don't have owners or file level permissions. You can't turn off simple file sharing in XP Home edition, but you can take ownership by booting into XP in Safe Mode as Administrator, and then following steps 3 through 6.

they need to sticky this at the top on page when we open in this section. this question is asked a lot

What I have been wondering for some time, what's the point in this protection if you can easily change owner? Or does the Administrator account have to use the same password as the original owner of the folders/files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom