Old computer (7-8 years) having internet connection issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
My father's HP Pavilion 533w
Can barely connect to the internet. Odd thing is that Firefox rarely, if ever, works. Internet Explorer will not ever connect. But, an old version of AOL (7.0) will connect to the internet, just very slowly.
When I do an internet speed test I get 0.00 download speed and 0.18 upload speed.
Our ISP is charter and our internet speed is 10 MBPS Which I get on my computer just fine.

I have scanned the computer with Malwarebytes anti-malware, and NOD 32.
I removed everything that they found but, it did nothing to improve internet connection performance.

I would scan with more things, but when scans generally take 13-30 hours, I tend to get impatient.

This is on a Windows XP operating system, all parts are whichever ones were sent from the factory, except the addition of a 512 MB of RAM, totaling 687MB.

Exactly what I was thinking Trotter...
My father refuses to get a new computer however. He insists that computer prices will fall drastically soon, then he may get a new computer. That build looks great Trotter however, at the moment, it's out of the option.

Best thing is...The hard drive was one of the high failure rate ones. I think it was called a Maxtor? It hasn't given us any problems though, I guess we got lucky.
heh, it would make you cringe if you knew what all has happened to that computer.

Guess I'll get to reinstalling soon...
Thank you for the information Trotter

Sadly Trotter is right about 1 thing. When it takes that long for a simple scan to finish, cause the CPU and RAM speeds dont allow for it to finish any faster, then your best bet is going to be start over. It will take you far less time to reinstall Windows than do all the appropriate scans. Even with an old PC like that your looking at about an hour maybe 2 most to reinstall fresh. Compared to the 15+ to do a scan. When you can save yourself that much time it just makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom