OK I am going to defend Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
As a Linux user it is not often you will find me defending Microsoft, personally I like the MS operating systems I just prefare to use community driven software. I am just sick an tired of people basing Vista over XP I use maybe 3 operating systems a day XP, Vista and a Linux based OS what grinds my gears so much is we have seen this before and have been proven right, that the new microsoft OS will provide better support an features than the last one.

If any of you can rember what it was like when XP came out will not be surprised, I can recall people saying "oh XP looks nice an all but it's buggy an not compatible with my system." Well I have news for you things change it's not often that some new software arrives on the market an has no compatibility issues or bugs. Games, Applications, Drivers will all have issues to start with. Now i am not saying that Vista is bug free an yes there has been issues but most where fixed very quickly an i applaud Microsoft for this.

In work I get at least 3 or 4 calls a week from people saying they bought a new computer an would like us to put XP on it for them, well we say no sorry. Most new laptops an Desktops are supplied vista only and the drivers are either not available for XP or if they are they are limited in the functionality. I can speak from personal experience with this as my colliuge spent 5 hours very recently downgrading a laptop so that a customer could use XP on it only to in the end call them up an say some of the features they bought the laptop for would not be available as the drivers where not supporting them.

If you want new features, want new functionality, an would like to use the latest and most up to date technologies upgrade to vista.

Sorry for the rant but I think it needed to be said.

;)

this is a reason why you see me constantly say "I love MS/Windows/Vista" :D

there are too many that bash MS and it's software for nothing more than to be a part of some group. Like some child that just grew into puberty, never really knowing anything, and immediately starts preaching to the masses about things they never really know.

But strangely, we know it will always exist. Because that is the nature of society and it's members all over the world...except for some like me. :D And a few others here with normal and healthy mindsets.

I will continue my blind support of MS/Windows/Vista so long as those types abound ;)

You can not deny that in most cases GAMERS should stick to XP over Vista because of the performance decrease due to vista.

And yes, it is a cycle. An OS comes out, the previous version of the OS performs better due to less bugs, the newer OS gets patched, and then a newer OS comes out.

But why don't you stick with XP until the updates come out? That way you won't even have to bother with the limited to many problems with vista.

But ya, MS is not an innocent company... you know that little paper clip in Microsoft word? lol... they stole it -_-

All comes down to personnal preference.

Said it in another thread and I will say it again, you like Vista? Thats great, then use it. You like XP? Thats great, then use it.

There is no absolute better, this goes for any OS, even Linux, OSX, unix and all windows versions, you use what you like the most...

As for me, Vista as given me no reason to ditch XP. Yet...

People should not tell anyone which is better, they should tell them to try all their options, then decide for themselves.

Opinions matter though because if you are legally installing these OS's (xp and vista) then you just spent $100 + on something.

Idk how anyone could complain bout linux though... pay nothing for an OS that can be turned into anything you want. I love messing with my open suse pc when I have nothing to do.

But i must say... for the most part this is what is true.
advantages for XP with gaming:
Better performance
Still looks good in DX9

Advantages of Vista:
You don't need a patch for halo2
DX10
Tri-SLI

You know what someone should do? Make a big list and sticky it for

the Advantages of XP: insert stuff
The Disadvantages of XP: Insert Stuff
The Advantages of Vista: Insert Stuff
The Disadvantages of Vista: Insert stuff

To help users better understand what they have a choice between.

I hear what yer sayin, Chris, especially about customers wanting XP on their Vista machines. It wasn't much of a problem at first but for a while now switching the OS just isn't an option most of the time. Even when we can, features like the finger print reader, webcam, media keys, etc. don't work.

And I think you're right that a lot of people needlessly put down Vista "just because." People, especially the "average computer user" love to insult things they don't understand and Vista is at the top of that list. But as a gamer and sort of a power user I still don't like Vista. It was tailored far too much to typical users and computer novices for my liking and takes up far more system resources than XP did for not much gain imo. Not to mention the more strong handed tactics of MS to force everyone to switch over by making things like DX10 Vista-Only. It's just too bloated. Plus all of those missing features that are totally unlikely to be patched in. That's why I'm much more excited about Windows 7 because of the rumors of a much leaner kernel.

While many of the same things were said about XP at first, I don't think it was nearly this bad. I think Vista is still more of a Windows ME situation where it never really quite caught on and has a lot of fundamental issues that will keep most home users and businesses especially from switching over. Come 2010 I think we'll all be a lot more satisfied.

I've used Vista quite a bit and I still don't like it any more than I did when it first came out. I wanted to like it, too. I spent a LOT of time at work figuring everything out and it was so much more bloated and difficult for me to use than XP was, not to mention the colossally higher system reqs, that I just can't use it at home. I actually dual booted with a series of 60-day trials for a long time and tried to adapt but I was just never satisfied. I ended up selling my free copy to a friend.

So I see your side of the debate but I still think there are a lot of reasons not to get behind Vista. I still see myself sticking with XP for the foreseeable future and I don't see MS or any software publishers dropping support for an OS that most of the computing world still uses and still works fine.

As a Linux user it is not often you will find me defending Microsoft, personally I like the MS operating systems I just prefare to use community driven software. I am just sick an tired of people basing Vista over XP I use maybe 3 operating systems a day XP, Vista and a Linux based OS what grinds my gears so much is we have seen this before and have been proven right, that the new microsoft OS will provide better support an features than the last one.

If any of you can rember what it was like when XP came out will not be surprised, I can recall people saying "oh XP looks nice an all but it's buggy an not compatible with my system." Well I have news for you things change it's not often that some new software arrives on the market an has no compatibility issues or bugs. Games, Applications, Drivers will all have issues to start with. Now i am not saying that Vista is bug free an yes there has been issues but most where fixed very quickly an i applaud Microsoft for this.

In work I get at least 3 or 4 calls a week from people saying they bought a new computer an would like us to put XP on it for them, well we say no sorry. Most new laptops an Desktops are supplied vista only and the drivers are either not available for XP or if they are they are limited in the functionality. I can speak from personal experience with this as my colliuge spent 5 hours very recently downgrading a laptop so that a customer could use XP on it only to in the end call them up an say some of the features they bought the laptop for would not be available as the drivers where not supporting them.

If you want new features, want new functionality, an would like to use the latest and most up to date technologies upgrade to vista.

Sorry for the rant but I think it needed to be said.

you are right. they will fix the compatibility issues by the time windows 7 is released. it took 6 month to resolve these issues with xp. you guy need to stop arguing the stupid point as vista has been out for almost 2 years now.

xp was the greatest OS in the world at the same time frame. it's still the greatest. it didn't take 5 years to fix xp.

I upgraded to xp over a hundred times. I haven't had 1 complaint. I do get lot of complaints of stuff working with vista.

if you are a gamer, use xp even then vista has directx 10

if you are a sound editor, use xp. nothing with sound editing works with vista and ms doesn't care. that largely has to do with the fact that vista doesn't use hardware acceleration. ms is trying to figure out how not to let somebody else get rich on their OS so they are try to change the sound spec, which they can't.

I'm not taking about software like audacity where you are convert an already pre-existing file on your computer. I'm talking pro tools, reasons, abbington etc. for sound editing

if you are a video editor, use xp as you need all of the resource that you can get.

if you like a fast computer, use xp

to everybody else, if you like xp use it, if you like vista use it

Vista was Released in Nov of 2006. It has only been 17 months. Still has till Nov before it hits the 2 year mark.

I think it just has to come down to people have to stop bashing it. Vista is here to stay. Plain and simple.

I cant argue with anything mentioned, I will recomend xp, easier on me for debuging, all the programs I use are writen with the x/64; again,easier for me;

Vista takes more memory, so for a gamer, not as eviceint, dx 10 wont show an improvment,many games have an option for that now, xp for now, but vista is an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom