Official Windows 10 Thread

Yep, WSUS for me is... being a PITA in regards to Win10 crap for me as well. It dislikes when I attempt to decline updates anymore -.-

And I'm glad this is on by default because P2P updates are...FANTASTIC. I don't care what anybody says. Guess P2P isn't a legit distribution system? If that's the case...why are Linux distros distributed through P2P? Or some game client updates? Please - people need to stop harping on this BS on "how it might be breached somehow in the future?" Encryption will have to be broken first - once that happens, I'll eat my words, then wait for a patch to update their P2P updating system and go back to happily updating over P2P.

Sorry, but internet caps make the default P2P method completely stupid. You might be all for it buddy, but wait till you end up with a 20GB/monthly cap, then add in the fact most users, are completely oblivious and ignorant. Also, don't go on about "You can set metered!!!" No, you can't, not on a wired connection. M$ needs to give people some more control than what they have. I remember before launch you could check for suggestions about the preview builds, every day someone would beg for metered options on wired connections. But nope, M$ doesn't think a wired connection can be capped at all apparently.

And I forgot to add this:
Windows 10 branches out with three update options
As of this writing, it's unclear what admins can do to pause further Windows 10 updates if they discover an incompatibility in their environment. Some of the time, the lag will really just serve as a buffer to make sure a poorly coded patch does not take down an entire network

*clap clap clap*
The entire reason behind us having WSUS was to only allow updates that we want and that we've thoroughly tested. Now you get em whether you want it or not. And the cherry on top, if we ever had an issue that needed MS's help, we won't get it unless we're on the very latest updates released. **** that for a joke.

In the end... For stability sake and when it comes to custom wrote software and mom/pop software companies, it may almost be better to ditch windows and move to something a little less... controlling and more stable?

There is a reason I despised Apple operating systems, that reason has quickly moved to Windows it seems.

There are third party programs that do give you control over WSUS. Just use them.
O&O is a reputable software company that's been making O&O defrag ever since I can remember has now provided a free download of ShutUp 10.
O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

More control over your operating system

Adapt your security settings
Protect your privacy
Control location services
Control Windows Updates
Do not pass on your user data and diagnostics

Last edited:
That won't help with WSUS unfortunately, and I'm not keen on rolling out some 3rd party software to all of our machines simply to disable automatic updating. Probably easier to just block the MS update servers.

yup...using windows firewall can block the update/WSUS servers very well.
Even M$ knows updates can cause some major headaches too....
This was made for originally for Windows 10 preview but it's rumored to work in the release versions too.
Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.

The package was digitally signed on June 15, and the accompanying Knowledge Base article is dated July 7, just a few weeks ago. The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

You can get it from Microsoft here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I just noticed (might just be my machine, havent checked another win10 OS) that when I go into file explorer > users desktop folder, that recycle bin doesn't show up?

Can someone please check their win10 OS and verify if it affects all win10 OS or just a issue with me? :cool:

Not only is it not just you, but that behaviour is the same as Win7. Go to C:\Users\Username\Desktop
My computer, Recycle bin, etc won't show up

edit: no I mean I *just* tested it lol, it doesn't show on win7 using the above path.

Last edited:
^ I believe Recycle Bin was visible on Win7. But no, it's not visible on Win10. However...if you click the little arrow icon that points right in the address bar next to the desktop Icon it will drop down a menu and you can navigate to the Recycle bin from there. This also works no matter what folder you're in.

^ I believe Recycle Bin was visible on Win7. But no, it's not visible on Win10. However...if you click the little arrow icon that points right in the address bar next to the desktop Icon it will drop down a menu and you can navigate to the Recycle bin from there. This also works no matter what folder you're in.

yeah win7 recycle bin is visible, its how I use it at work ( i never look at my desktop, i view it from explorer).

Thats annoying! I did find the path you said carnage, but I save alot of work temp on desktop, so I just drag into bin etc... now I have to follow your steps :mad:

Back
Top Bottom