Official Windows 10 Thread

Nov 2, 2015 @ 12:00 PM 578,605 views
Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped
Forbes Welcome
I suppose we must accept this fact because M$ is not going to change their tactics. But I will give M$ credit for being more upfront about privacy than Google

November update bug:
The issue, Microsoft told me and various other journalists today, was along the lines that the update reset many of the contentious privacy settings that many users have turned off. Users have been reporting that after installing the update, they were unaware that these settings had been switched back on:
Forbes Welcome

M$ did pull this update, but whats "a small number" of pc's to microsoft really mean when you have over 110 million Windows 10 pc's getting updates? ten, one hundred? a thousand? few hundred thousand?

Do you think we can trust Microsoft to give us safe and reliable updates?

November update bug:

Forbes Welcome

M$ did pull this update, but whats "a small number" of pc's to microsoft really mean when you have over 110 million Windows 10 pc's getting updates? ten, one hundred? a thousand? few hundred thousand?

Yes

Like rulezero said... Yes. Plus, there's the fact that they did indeed pull the update when they recognized there was an issue with it (bet that was either from the Feedback app, and possibly combined with reports from that "evil" telemetry for software issue logging! :omg: ;) ).

I didn't find it that big of a deal to go back through and check my settings since it was such a large update. The fact that it was a bug and got pulled for that reason kinda miffed me, since I didn't get TH2 installed on my laptop like I wanted to before it got pulled. That, and I believe they also pulled the updated ISO from their Media Creation Tool page (at least I think so...haven't actually confirmed it yet), because I was going to use it so I could install Win10 on my wife's laptop, and just use the existing key during install without having to go through the Upgrade.

Last edited:
I used the media creation tool to download an all in one ISO0 of TH2 the night before it was pulled. I feel lucky. However I think it is back on the media creation tool because I upgraded a persons computer a couple of days ago at work and it came up as build 10586

I just can't trust M$ with updating my pc, I always wait a week or more just in case they trash a bunch of pc's.
I think over time I've witnessed too many blunders not to wait and decide when to get updates for myself rather than to trust M$
KB 3097877 crashes Outlook, causes network sign-in black screens | InfoWorld
M$ has already cause some Windows 10 pc's to go through a boot loop from an update earlier this year.

I used the media creation tool to download an all in one ISO0 of TH2 the night before it was pulled. I feel lucky. However I think it is back on the media creation tool because I upgraded a persons computer a couple of days ago at work and it came up as build 10586

I'll have to re-download all the ISOs then (or one of 'em at least) and see if it they are indeed 10586. Thanks.

I just had something strange happen. I booted up to safe mode to run pre ordering online, scans. With my numbers getting to the wild last card, I'm being real cautious. Now here's the reason I'm posting this here.
When I restarted to get to normal mode, as it was shutting down, a text message under the normal shut down message stated it was preparing updates. Then it went blank as it was rebooting. When it came back up prior to the password screen, it stated update completed 100%.

Updates is turned completely off. I checked it again to be sure. Still off.
Now the only updates are win defender and windows 10. It has completely downloaded in the background and is waiting for me to push the install button. In the how to turn off the nag screen there were 2 KB's to uninstall. The first one was in my list of updates and I uninstalled it. The second was not in the list. The nag screen went away but w10 downloaded any way.

I don't want it right now. What files need to be deleted to cripple it so it doesn't install itself. I figure that's the next step anyway. I'll get up one morning to find w10 has over run my system. This is BS in the extreme.

That nag box is from update KB3035583 (Gwx.exe) , uninstall KB3035583 and the nag box will be gone, That does not mean that M$ will not re-install the KB3035583 update. You'll have to run Windows update and then hide KB3035583 to prevent it from re-appearing ...at least until you re-boot...LOL
This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

I really like this comment on the same web page.....
Status
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

There are some third party software's out there that stop Windows 10 from updating onto your pc and stops all that telemetry crap too for w10
O&O ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10

By the same folks that make O&O defragger

Last edited:
I got the free thing at the top, but at the bottom it says download free trial. So what is it? Am I going to load this and find in 30 days I have to pay to play?

Back
Top Bottom