Official Windows 10 Thread

is anyone else having issues with windows updates looping over and over again. I have had one particular update just go from downloading to preparing to install then once it gets to 69% it goes back to downloading and it just does it over and over again using a high amount of cpu in the process. THe update is kb3074683. It only seems to happen on my desktop. My laptop seems to get updates just fine

It's best to turn off your antivirus before you attempt this upgrade, I did an upgrade on someone else's pc, I uninstalled Kaspersky, and the upgrade went great. No problems until I attempted to install Kaspersky and it all went down hill from there.

i am having trouble setting any preferences. i have used Mozilla Firefox for at least 5 years, but the only "option" i have is to click on their new browser. same with google maps, and google calendar. it will only allow me to pick m.s. items. is there a way around this?

Do you mean trying to set your default applications?

Settings app -> System -> Default Apps -> Set your application preference for each category

Unless you mean this is the part you're having issues with? Are you sure you have the other applications installed? Have you tried reinstalling them to see if they show up in the list as selectable?

I'm busy downloading the ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft and thus; is this the Full Ver. of the OS from their official servers. Its the 64bit Variation. I've read a lot about people upgrading, people migrating, and also people having problems. How will this ISO of Windows 10 be different from say 7 or earlier XP with regards to installing it after creating the Boot DVD with an ISO Creation Tool.

Can you buy product keys online from Microsoft as well as what I think I'm doing which is downloading the full OS not just an upgrade.

What are the recommended specks, I've read their web site and it says 20 GB Space, 1GHz CPU and 2 GHz Memory.

I'm busy downloading the ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft and thus; is this the Full Ver. of the OS from their official servers. Its the 64bit Variation. I've read a lot about people upgrading, people migrating, and also people having problems. How will this ISO of Windows 10 be different from say 7 or earlier XP with regards to installing it after creating the Boot DVD with an ISO Creation Tool.
Are you downloading the actual full/retail ISO, or the Upgrade ISO? They're different.

Can you buy product keys online from Microsoft as well as what I think I'm doing which is downloading the full OS not just an upgrade.
Yes you can buy retail copies of Win10. You're eligible for a free upgrade within the 1 year period however if you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. The upgrade carries the same license as what you're upgrading from. So if you have an OEM copy of Win7/Win8.1, the Win10 upgrade will have OEM licensing - meaning it cannot be transferred to another system or major hardware (such as motherboard) cannot be upgraded without invalidating the license. However, if you have a retail Win7/Win8.1, and upgrade to Win10, the Win10 upgrade will have Retail licensing and you can transfer the license to another system (1 system active at a time) or upgrade major hardware.

What are the recommended specks, I've read their web site and it says 20 GB Space, 1GHz CPU and 2 GHz Memory.
System requirements: Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft

For those of you wondering about the new Update delivery system:
Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ - Windows Help

Specifically for you, c0rr0sive:
Will Delivery Optimization download over metered connections?
As with Windows 8.1, Windows 10 won't automatically download updates or apps if it detects that your PC is using a metered connection. Similarly, Delivery Optimization won't automatically download or send parts of updates or apps to other PCs on the Internet if it detects that you're using a metered connection.

If you use a Wi‑Fi connection that is metered or capped, make sure you identify it as a metered connection. Here's how:

Go to Start Start button icon, then Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options.
Use the toggle under Set as metered connection to set your Wi‑Fi connection as metered.

Not sure if you can do that for Wired networks or not though - that'd be another question to find an answer.

Can't do it for wired connections at all, it was recommended heavily, and M$ ignored it. Users on satellite ISP's are screwed because M$ decided to ignore something that is actually vital in this day and age with so many ISP's going to metered service.

The metered setting stems mostly from the tablet side of the OS, seeing as tablets use Wifi or Cellular connectivity.

Back
Top Bottom