Office 2010 Beta Problems, Experiences, Resolutions, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
So far my experience with Office 2010 Beta 64 bit has been great. I'm testing this on a live production network with Outlook connected to Exchange 2007.

After the initial installation the Old Outlook desktop icon was not replaced so I had to create a new one. New icon shown below

outlook1.jpg

Outlook 2010 still uses .ost

Outlook 2010 Beta has a new File Tab for Account Settings, Automatic Replies, Mailbox Cleanup, Rules and Alerts and other Options.

Creating a new email will show a new Connect to Social Network such as Facebook, etc at the bottom of the email

outlook4.jpg

Outlook by default groups together emails from the same person. Below you will see that I sent myself 2 test emails, you dont see 2 separate emails, you see one email with a (2) beside it.

outlook5.jpg

And when you select the email, it automatically expands showing both emails.

outlook6.jpg

And for some reason when you expand the list further, it shows other emails in there as well, emails as in Sent, Archive Email, Calendar. Not sure if this is a bug or not but I dont think it belongs there.

Microsoft Office Send a Smile where you can write your experiences about something Positive, which also captures a screenshot

outlook8.jpg

Microsoft Office Send a Frown where you can write your experiences about something negative, which also captures a screenshot

outlook9.jpg

I've only been using this for 2 hours now so when I find something else I will post it, and so should anyone else.

My company has the beta of Exchange 2010, and it is virtually unusable. Will not integrate with any previous versions. I sure hope they fix this before it's released.

Just noticed 2 new entries under startup via msconfig. Not sure what the delay services mean yet, didnt really find anything yet.

outlook10.jpg

outlook11.jpg

I have a major issue that cant be resolved without a format. Had the Technical Beta installed, tried to remove it and the Connector as well. Installed the Beta and get this error everytime now.

outlook.png

Nothing i have tried has fixed it. From scanning the .pst to making a new profile to commands such as:

outlook.exe /a
outlook.exe /resetnavpane

among various others as suggested by Microsoft themselves. Interestingly enough, it is still broken even in a different profile where it will not connect to the servers. Even after confirming that the information is correct by loading up Live Mail with the same settings.

Glad i am ready for a resintall...

When can I download the beta? That's easy: Now. Microsoft rolled out the beta during a keynote at its Professional Developers Conference (PDC) mid-day Wednesday.
Where do I get it? The public download is available from the Microsoft site, on this page.

Office 2010, by the way, is the first Microsoft suite to be offered in both 32- and 64-bit versions. Choose the version that fits your operating system. You can check to see whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit edition of Windows 7 by clicking the Start button, then clicking Control Panel and System Maintenance. Click System.
Follow the instructions here for checking Vista and XP.

Is Microsoft limiting who can download the beta, like it did with the Technical Preview, or the number of people who can have it? No, there is no numerical cap on the number of downloads for Office 2010.
It's unclear whether Microsoft will set a time limit on Office 2010 Beta, as it did for Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) last summer. "I'm not sure if we have a specific plan to shut off availability at some point," said Numoto. Microsoft does plan, however, on making sure "millions and millions" of users are able to download and try the preview, Numoto added.

What edition of Office 2010 is the beta? At the Nov. 18 debut, the version offered everyone was Office Professional Plus 2010, the everything- and -the-kitchen-sink collection.
That's odd, even ironic, since Professional Plus is the feature-laden edition that will be available only to enterprises and organizations that purchase licenses in volume when the final ships next year. Professional Plus includes Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Publisher, InfoPath, SharePoint Workspace -- formerly called Groove -- and Communicator.
Earlier on the Office 2010 Beta site, Microsoft had listed three different versions that would be made available to users: Professional Plus, and the to-be-sold-at-retail Office Home and Business, and Office Professional.

So, what happened to the other versions? Why aren't they part of the beta? Microsoft's Numoto said the company still plans to offer versions other than Professional, but wouldn't say when. "We'll make additional offerings after today," he said Wednesday, getting only as specific as "fairly shortly."
If Microsoft comes through on that promise, it will end up delivering three of the five editions of Office during the beta. A trio will be sold at retail -- the low-end Office Home and Student, as well as Office Home and Business and Office Professional -- while two Office Standard and Office Professional Plus, will be sold only to volume licensing customers.

How's the Office 2010 download process going? Good -- so far.
A few users Thursday posted messages on the beta's support forum saying that they were unable to reach the download page, but it may have been a local issue, since most of those who complained said they were in Germany. We didn't have any trouble accessing the site, retrieving a product key or grabbing the beta.
But the question was legitimate. Last month, a major snafu in the downloading of student discount copies of Windows 7 led hundreds to gripe that they were unable to install the new OS. And last January, when Microsoft launched the beta of Windows 7, a debacle forced Microsoft to restart the roll-out because of server overloads.

What do I need in order to install the beta? Microsoft has set the minimum requirements for the beta as a 500MHz or faster processor; 256MB or more of memory; 3GB of free hard drive space; and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows Vista SP1, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2008 SP2, or Windows 7.
Microsoft made it clear that you shouldn't need to upgrade your hardware to run Office 2010, assuming you're already running its predecessor. "You don't need to replace hardware that is capable of running Office 2007; it will support Office 2010," the company said in its own FAQ for the beta.

How big is the download? The 32-bit version weighs in at about 685MB, while the 64-bit version tips the scales at 750MB.

Do I need a product activation key? Yes. To use the Office 2010 beta beyond 30 days, you'll need to activate it with the 25-character key that you'll receive prior to starting the download. That key is valid only for the beta, and can't be used to activate a copy of the final when that launches sometime in the first half of next year.
Hint: Print out the page that shows the key, as Microsoft suggests.

I've been running the Office 2010 Technical Preview. Can I upgrade that to the beta? No, says Microsoft.
In an e-mail sent to Technical Preview testers last week, Microsoft said they must uninstall that version before installing Office 2010 Beta.
We found that out the hard way when the beta repeatedly refused to install on an XP-based test system; it took several trips to the Add/Remove applet to scrub the Technical Preview from the PC, including one to uninstall the virtualization component that the earlier edition added when it was installed with Microsoft's new "Click-To-Run" technology. More on Click-To-Run in a bit.

Can I upgrade my existing copy of Office to the beta? Yes, but you may not want to. When you install Office 2010 Beta, you can choose between and "Upgrade" or "Customize" options. The former upgrades your current version of Office, replacing it with Office 2010.
Down the road, however, when Office 2010 Beta expires, you'll have to reinstall the earlier edition by digging up the installation CD. That's a good reason to nix the upgrade idea.
Instead, you can choose the Customize option, which installs Office 2010 Beta alongside your existing version so you can use both. You'll still need to reinstall one, possibly two, applications from your older edition once you stop using Office 2010 Beta, however.

What will I have to reinstall? Outlook, Office's e-mail application, and SharePoint Workspace, formerly called Office Groove 2007, cannot coexist with previous versions on your computer. Microsoft says that you have to select one version of Outlook and SharePoint Workspace/Groove 2007 to install: You can't run two copies of Outlook on the same PC, in other words.
What if I don't see the Upgrade and Customize options when I install Office 2010 Beta? You sure you're not hallucinating? Or, if you're reading this post-launch, maybe a long time post-launch, that means Microsoft has managed to kick Click-To-Run into gear. When the beta's delivered using that technology, you won't have a choice: By design, Office 2010 Beta will install side-by-side with any existing version

FAQ: Microsoft Office 2010 Beta - PC World

Just noticed 2 new entries under startup via msconfig. Not sure what the delay services mean yet, didnt really find anything yet...
Me too. I've disable the 'Send-a-Smile program' from starting up automatically by removing it from the Start Menu 'startup'. As for my experience of Office 2010 beta (x64), I'm quite pleased. It's quite snappy on my nettop. No problems so far.

Guys, Is it OK to to have both office 2007 and office 2010 beta at the same time on the same PC or will they conflict with each other?

thx

sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. With beta anything can happen and even full suites with 2 different versions can have conflicts.

sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. With beta anything can happen and even full suites with 2 different versions can have conflicts.

Osiris, Would you say it is a safe bet to have both on one PC or a better idea just to leave 07 on it?

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom