office 2003 hidden files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
office 2003 proffessional edition copies setup files inside a hidden folder inside a drive other than your installation drive. it never asked where i wanted to put these files.

it asks if i would like to delete this at the very end of office installation. frontpage 2003 also does this, but gives no warning or option to delete.

example: i choose to install office 2003 on

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

it will copy files to hard disk inside a hidden folder onto D, E, or F. these files are used to repair office or reinstall it i beleive. even if i choose to delete these files it still leaves a few files on this hidden folder.

my question is how can i move these files over to the same installation drive ( C: ) and still have office use them or if i delete this folder and all of its contents will it mess anything up?

found an answer. there is a command line switch to select your directory:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=830168

Q7: How do you control the location of the \MSOCACHE folder?

A7: To specify the location of the \MSOCACHE folder, use the LOCALCACHEDRIVE setup property. This property can be enabled from a command line or a Setup settings file (Setup.ini).

Note You cannot control the location of the \MSOCACHE folder in the Setup user interface.

-edit
oops i should have posted the command. in a run box type:

f:\setup.exe LOCALCACHEDRIVE=C

change F to the letter of your cd-rom drive that the office2003 CD is in.

C is the drive letter to install the files to, replace C with the drive you want the destination at. you should also be able to specify sub-directories, example c:\program files\.....ect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom