OEM Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozinga

Baseband Member
Could someone explain the difference between OEM versions of Windows and Retail versions, the OEM versions are significantly cheaper.

There is also a difference in the liscensing agreements, as well. With the OEM you go by with the manu. but retail you usually get the liscense agreement of 1 desk and 1 lap.

What do you mean by manu, if I buy a retail version I can install it on a laptop and a desktop an no other computers and if I buy OEM I can only install it once. What about if I format my hardrive or somma an I want to reinstall windows, sorry if I sound a noob but I've always just usd manufacturer recovery discs.

Most of the time if you call M$ you can tell them your situation, after trying to reinstall and it will be alright.

So which would you recommend me to go for, I'm only going to use on my computer, no laptops or anything, should I go for the OEM or the retail.

Plus with OEM, the license is issued to that PC and that PC only. You can not transfer that license to another computer. If that PC dies, you cant take your copy of XP and put it on another PC (at least legally). When the PC dies, the licenses dies with it. This does not apply to retail copies of XP only OEM.

I'm on my 2nd PC with my OEM version of media center, I didn't even have to call. It activated without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom