OEM? Please explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesrin

In Runtime
Hey there i was wondering if i should purchase an 'OEM' version of the XP MCE i want for my new custom computer that i'm building. Are OEM discs bootable? Does it matter what hardware i'm using? The drive i'm installing it on will of course be formatted...

I also heard somewhere that OEM discs only work on store bought computers (ex: acer, hp), is this true?

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

It just means, that it's the product itself. No extra bundled items. So in this case, with the Windows...and OEM version, is just the CD and serial number. No pretty box or manual.

OEMs working only in store bought computers, is not true. Many of us, have bought OEMs for the computers that we've built ourselves.

I think OEM can only be used on 1 motherboard though, which is fine if you are staying to the same computer. It can be used as many times as needed on that one.

In addition, I think there is a certain number of times, that you can install and activate the OEM, before you have to call MS, so that they give you an activation number.

I've used an OEM on multiple computers before. And you can too. But you can't have them all connected to the internet, at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom