OEM Operating Systems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question OEM Operating Systems

I will be building a computer in the near future and was curious if i should try an OEM version of Windows XP?

The thing im worried about is, what if i need to reformat for some reason? Will I be able to do so without having to purchase another OS?
I also want to double check to ensure that im not buying some sort of upgrade for an older version of windows
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
Thats what i plan on buying.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: OEM Operating Systems

OEM operating systems are meant to be used only on one PC. So if you buy a new one or make significant upgrades you're supposed to be SOL. SOme people have had better luck with this than others, though.

I've never used an oem version personally, myself. The one legit copy of xp I have is on my main. It's a copy of xp pro I bought 3 or 4 years ago and I've activated it like 6 times with no issues.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I still like my corporate edition of xp pro that i never even have to activate when i reinstall :P For what its worth, if you actually plan on paying M$ for windows you'd be better served paying the extra for a full retail version instead of oem.
Nothing to see here.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

I got an OEM, and I have installed it on two different computers, and activated both of them. But, only one is online.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

As stated OEM can be used on only 1 mcahine. If you do not make any mother board chagnes in the near future you will be able to activate this as much as you want upon a re-install of the OS.

Other than that be careful with what OEM version you buy. Some OEM companies rig the disk to be for a specific computer or company. Like dell. If it is a dell disk it might not have the required drivers for all your hardware.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick

i have a OEM copy of vista

Closed Thread