This is the oddest..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
This is about the oddest thing I ever saw. My mother has XP on her desktop, was an old AMD model, not sure what it was, had 900mb of DDR ram, onboard graphics. Enough for her to get by, all she does is read her emails, and surfs the web, and buy music from iTunes.

I put a new wireless PCI card into my mother's computer. (to replace the crappy netgear usb one) Installed drivers, connected to my router, boom it was done. I then changed the name of the workgroup, and then had to restart, so I did.

After the reboot, I see the Microsoft Validation sticker on it, like, this is odd. So I go into Windows, I see that it isn't Validated, It has been validated for like 6 years now, WTF? So I try to change the Serial number, it says it isn't valid with my version. So i shut down.

I look on my computer for options on how to fix this, so I found this Microsoft Validate Checker, I started up her computer again, saw the validation again, and I ran this lil program, and boom, the thing is validated like it never had a problem :annoyed:

Can anyone explain why this happened? I don't remember that new hardware caused it to be un-validated...

Windows maybe thought it was an odd hardware change. Could also be that during installation, the validation setting coulda been corrupted.

A change in hardware can cause re-validation. I have had it come up when installing new RAM, switching video cards, adding a HDD among so much more. When there is a change to the hardware profile there can be this requirement for re-validation. It is not odd. It is completely normal.

XP is when it happened to me the most. It only happened once to me in Vista and never in Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom