Odd Problem XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja

Beta member
I installed service pack 3 the other day and it ruined my pc I couldnt even get tinto safe mod so I reinstalled windows XP pro from disk. Now when I shutdown the next time I boot I get a blank screen and then have to manually restart and select use last known good configuration It then loads XP fine. A few weeks ago before I installed sp3 I followed an online guide to edit the boot screen I edited ntoskrnl.exe it didnt work and I am not sure I managed to restore it properly as I have now lost the backup.

can anyone help ?

Have you tried running repair with the windows disc?

I didn't even think there was a genuine sp3... am I missing something or is it just one of those vista blinds?

Hmmm... doesn't look like your the only one that had a problem with it. I don't think I'm going to risk this one.

I cant do a repair from disk as it says I need a floppy disk and I have already repaired with the install disk.

You should reformat and reinstall your system. It would be the only good fix. Do you have your driver disk for motherboard? If not you will want to backup your drivers before you reinstall.

Sadly, you fell for the SP3 "pre-release". Now you will just have to reformat and reinstall Windows.

was a pre release from microsoft as posted here SP3, should I install?? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

This answers all. SP3 is not final and is known to have issues. This is why Microsoft does not support or give support for Beta applications. Which XP SP3 is. Sadly if a Repair install or going into Safe Mode and removing SP3 does not fix it only a format and re-install will work at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom