Odd IE Lock ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzy

Solid State Member
I've been working on an issue that seems to only affect dell machines. The problem is, when you are browsing IE, IE will lock up and take up 99 percet of the processor. The weird thing is is that the computer becomes hosed at this point, you can't end processes and if you do end the process the computer stays maxed out. I can't find anything on this issue. So far i've done the following:
1. Re-installed os from different sources and updated/re-installed drivers on the machine.
2. Flashed the bios
3. Contacted dell and they sent out hardware replacements
4. Ran full system dianostics from the dell cd and the ultimate boot cd.
5. Swapped out ram on the machine
6. re-installed ie multiple times on the machine

right now the machine is on a fresh install of windows xp sp2 (a microsoft offical cd version) and only has windows and our anti virus product (trend micro) however the machines proceeds to lock consistantly when usings IE.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causeing this?
We have many gateway machines (which are configued nearly exactly the same as our dells) and this problem has no shown up on any of them

Try a scan with hijackthis to see if something afoul is running in the background. post findings in the hijackthis post and see if someone can see a problem. hope this helps

Not using a custom XP build however, I do have trend micro running on the machine and I have heard of some older issues which cause similar problmes. However, these issues with trend mirco were resolved about a month ago. The oddest part is that this issue only happens on our dell machines not any other brand. I have also found that disabling the trend micro firewall service seems to stop the lockups from happening. Any trend micro users out there familiar with this? And this computer had its drive zeroed and re-instlled today so spyware/viruses/rootkits should not be an issue with this.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom