Odd bit of lag- unsure the cause - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Odd bit of lag- unsure the cause

Alright my dying PC struck a new low today.

While attempting some repairs/enhancements I notice a major difference in performance... and not in a good way.

Simply booting up the PC and trying to go to start>anything takes much- MUCH longer then it should, roughly 14 seconds sometimes.

Nothing I installed is set to load at boot- I made sure of that- and most things that do I turned off- thing is- couple days ago (and no new installations since) it didn't do this.

ALso the mouse seems to be lagging- just simply flittering the mouse around on the desktop- not even clicking- it will stutter and lag.

Any suggestions?

oh and I have been running scans all morning and nothing is popping up. Even after uninstalling uneeded things, defragmenting, malware scanning and virus scanning.. no luck..

*edit*

no information? sad.. over 32 people viewing when posted hours ago

Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Odd bit of lag- unsure the cause

What programs are running in the background?

DESKTOP | XP
AMD 4200+ | 2gigs Corsair XMS 3200 | EVGA nf41 sli | EVGA 9800 GTX+
Tagan ITZ 700w | Audigy 2 ZS | 250 gig WD | 80 gig WD | 750 gig WD

LAPPY | Vista Business x86
Dell Vostro 1500 | 2 gigs dell junk| 160 gig | 8600M GT
Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

What about registry cleaner? Like CCleaner. With all that uninstalling and installing you could have bogged down the system easily. Plus you never stated if it was XP or Vista.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

Happened to me, was very odd, some reason XP decided to disable my 8800GPU and run the built in one, it couldnt handle the high res im running at and all the desktop images...pretty much what you described.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

reinstall
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

XP, registry is pretty clean it turns out, and there is no integrated video- so pretty much all your suggestions flop >.<

as for reformatting- that won't do jack if its hardware problem- and I JUST reinstalled before installing other things- so its not like its been on more then .. lets see.. I'd say 1 week tops since last format (thats when I got the other harddrive to test)

nothing other then windows neccessities are in background- and yes that includes no active virus scan (although full scans came up clean)

using trojan detector it came clean- adaware showed no malware - not even trackin cookies (it doesn't browse the web at all- just games)

i uninstalled/reinstalled my graphics driver (up to date from web of course) then redid some scans like for adware and all that and still clean and STILL choppy...

even tried resetting the graphics AND ram (different times) and to no avail- even thought maybe a stick of RAM died so I removed 2 and ran on one stick to see if it got worse- nope just the same.- then ran on 2- even swapped there slots- ran the same. So not sure on all that.
yea.. iam stumped.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Haev you run MemTest86? How long have you ahd this PC. Could your CPU be dying after all the years of use? Did you ever Overclock?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread