"obsolete software" entries safe to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrophyte

Baseband Member
i just downloaded glary registry repair 3.0 (Glary Utilities | Glarysoft) because i uninstalled some apps and i think i had some traces of a spyware and made a complete registry scan and now im wondering about 20 problems found as obsolete software.

these are entries in HKCU/software/ which seem to have no data (glary says "This registry key has no data, it can be deleted."), but when looking at them, i recognize many that actually are installed on my notebook and im not sure whether its safe to delete those entries just because theres no data in there.

some of them are:
HKCU/software/
Apple Inc.
Sony Corporations
Razer USA Ltd.
ATI Technologies Inc.
Futuremark Corporation
Windows

..all belonging to software that is actually installed and working.

any ideas whether its safe to delete them or why they are empty?

thanks

The reason why that they are showing up as no data is that those keys are inactive at the time of the scan. Which is exactly why i state that Registry Cleaners are not the best thing to use. Perfect example right here.

If you were to remove those entries you have the potential to harm your system and cause those applications not to work. Which would cause you to haev to reinstall one or all of them including the OS itself.

This is why Registry Software is not the best or the safest thing to use. I have used CCleaner before, it has never done me harm. But i have used Eusing Registry Repair and had issues.

So the potential is there for harm to be done. It is up to you what you choose to do.

thank you very much - of course i didnt delete those entries because i was expecting it not to be safe. generally i also only use ccleaner and nsw, nothing else. just tried that because there were many entries like "ec6bx1cz80" etc. which i was not sure which app they belong to and since i had some traces of a spyware (i deleted the files manually after my av software did its job) i thought a reg cleaner software would find those remaining registry keys since they point to now not present files anymore.

thanks

The thing with Registry Cleaners that i have found is that they scan for inactive entries. Be it if they are inactive at that time cause the software is not is use or entries that no longer have software present.

The danger is that people dont pay attention to the Entries as you have and remove them all only to find that some of their software no longer works cause the Registry Entries are now gone from the cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom